You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting with perspective live filter active is offset

If I apply a perspective live filter to, for example, straighten a building it is not possible to use the Inpainting brush fill exposed part for the canvas.

It appears that the brush location is distorted/offset by the same amount of perspective distortion that is applied to the layer.  The consequence is that the inpainting doesn't actually appear where one draws with the brush.

If the non live perspective filter is used or if the live filter transformed layer is rasterized all is well.  Having the perspective live filter active renders the inpainting tool unusable 

• Staff

Hi Rob,

When a Live Perspective Filter layer is applied, tools (such as Inpainting and the Paint Brush Tool) will operate in their original coordinate space. You would need to rasterise or merge the pixel layer with the Live Filter Layer in order to get it to work how you want. 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and the explanation.

It's not a problem for me per-se as it's not something I want to do. It was merely an observation I made whilst experimenting.

I would like to suggest that the option to inpaint or brush be disabled when this situation is active; that would make more sense. Having the brush effect to be applied in a place that is significantly offset to where the cursor/brush messes with the eyes and brain.

• Staff

Hi RobW42,

I absolutely understand why and how this could trip someone up. It caught me out a year or so ago when I logged it as a bug and that's how I found out about it operating in its original coordinate space. I think we should at least explain this in the Help somewhere!