You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting Magazine to Pdf shrinks it

The Magazine I created on Publisher for the Mac has page dimensions 2100 pixels high x 1500 pixels wide.

But when I export it, it shrinks to tiny 500 pixels high.

I tried several ways, but I can't get it out in the original size.

Why does Publisher shrink my magazine to stamp dimensions?

Are you sure 500 pixels is the height of the actual pdf?

Or is it the height of the preview/icon in finder?

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

43 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

Are you sure 500 pixels is the height of the actual pdf?

Or is it the height of the preview/icon in finder?

When I click on the icon and do the keyboard combination COMMAND + I  is shows as resolution 509 pixels of height - please see attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 2.18.23 PM.png

The pdf size will depend on width x height multiplied by DPI. The DPI is 300 for print, and 72 for screens.

You created a document at 5"x7" at 300 DPI, that's 5"x300 DPI = 1500 px of width, and 7"x300 dpi = 2100 px of height.

You exported your document at 72 DPI for web: 5" x 72dpi = 360 px of width and 7"x 72dpi = 504 px of height.

Try choosing PDF for print as your preset, if you still have the same problem, click "more..." In the PDF expert window and set it to 300.

In case of a pdf, what COMMAND + I  in the finder shows, is not what the document actually is.

This screenshot attached gives us the information of a pdf document sized A4, containing text, vector drawings and images of 300 dpi.

In case of an image, finder info shows the correct resolution. In case of a pdf, it's allways a resolution more or less like the one shown in the screenshot. Therefore I presume it's the size of the icon that's given.

I think the best way is to open the pdf and examine it in acrobat (for example) if you want to be sure about the correct dimensions.

330915435_Schermafbeelding2019-06-17om07_44_06.png.8ad2fe323634f24d67e39c8d08117969.png

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

1 hour ago, toutou123 said:

The pdf size will depend on width x height multiplied by DPI. The DPI is 300 for print, and 72 for screens.

You created a document at 5"x7" at 300 DPI, that's 5"x300 DPI = 1500 px of width, and 7"x300 dpi = 2100 px of height.

You exported your document at 72 DPI for web: 5" x 72dpi = 360 px of width and 7"x 72dpi = 504 px of height.

Try choosing PDF for print as your preset, if you still have the same problem, click "more..." In the PDF expert window and set it to 300.

Actually, I exported it for print, as the export for the web is of such low quality it is pixelated and unusable.

45 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

In case of a pdf, what COMMAND + I  in the finder shows, is not what the document actually is.

This screenshot attached gives us the information of a pdf document sized A4, containing text, vector drawings and images of 300 dpi.

In case of an image, finder info shows the correct resolution. In case of a pdf, it's allways a resolution more or less like the one shown in the screenshot. Therefore I presume it's the size of the icon that's given.

I think the best way is to open the pdf and examine it in acrobat (for example) if you want to be sure about the correct dimensions.

330915435_Schermafbeelding2019-06-17om07_44_06.png.8ad2fe323634f24d67e39c8d08117969.png

I don't think it is the dimension of the icon.

But there's one thing: when I Command + I with a jpeg, it says "dimension"

But in case of the pdf is says "resolution" - which doesn't make any sense because resolution is dots per inch or per centimeter and not something 360x504

Looks like the Get Image Info command doesn't work for pdf.

14 minutes ago, World View said:

I don't think it is the dimension of the icon.

But there's one thing: when I Command + I with a jpeg, it says "dimension"

But in case of the pdf is says "resolution" - which doesn't make any sense because resolution is dots per inch or per centimeter and not something 360x504

Looks like the Get Image Info command doesn't work for pdf.

Well then, just open it a PDF reader and check the size there.

18 minutes ago, toutou123 said:

Well then, just open it a PDF reader and check the size there.

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

"File" "Properties" or CTRL+D

1 hour ago, RM f/g said:

The pdf shows as 5x7 inch - not shrunk, in Adobe Reader.

The Get Info tool on the mac cannot read pdf dimensions properly  and shows nonsense.

thank you!

It is not „nonsense“ what the „Get Info“ box is showing. Since a PDF by definition has no pixel dimensions and no resolution, the info dialog simply shows the pixel size of the embedded preview image, which is shown for example as a (scaled) thumbnail in the macOS Finder. In „Preview’s“ „Show Info“ panel you’ll find the correct „paper size“ dimensions, what – of course – doesn’t mean, that the  resolutions of the embedded images of you PDF are „ready to print“.

The PDF file itself can't have dimensions in pixels, only in/cm. The raster content of the PDF (images) has its own dimensions in pixels and DPI independently for each image. Trying to get the size of PDF in px won't work.

When you have created the document in the first place, you may have chosen 1500x2100px, but if you set the DPI to 300, then the correct size is 5"x7" and not 1500x2100px.