You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print Production plugin or Persona for Publisher?

Hi there, I can't wait for the full retail version of Publisher, will be putting in my pre-order (I know it's close) in the next couple of days!

But I'd like to know if there's any chance anyone has thought about adding either a prepress plug-in or Persona to fully press check documents as you can in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro?

For example check that spot ink or CMYK separations and rasterisations are correct as required for the print destination.. Acrobat has remained as my only tether to Adobe, it would be nice to be completely free at some point in the future! Anyone else think this?

Thanks for listening... 

Cheers

Kind Regards
Piers Le Sueur

PrepressC.png

PrepressB.png

PrepressA.png

+1

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 month later...
On 26 June 2019 at 9:05 AM, postmadesign said:

A PDF manager would also be nice, so I don't have to use acrobat anymore...

Yes please

Maybe if it was an additional purchase, fully featured, pro print orientated, PDF viewer, tester, and fixer - once purchased it would show up as a studio link persona

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with this. Acrobat Pro seems to be the only Adobe product that I can't replace. 

There doesn't seem to be any alternative way to view/check color separations in a PDF.

The free Adobe Acrobat Reader will at least show overprints.

Any Affinity 'persona' or even a totally separate program would be great.

Unfortunately there is no replacement out there for Acrobat for prepress and printing unlike the other Adobe products. Acrobat needs improvements and updates but still there is nothing out there that has plugins available like Quite Imposing or Enfocus Pitstop which are complete essentials. 

30 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Unfortunately there is no replacement out there for Acrobat for prepress and printing unlike the other Adobe products... 

callas pdfToolbox. callas' preflight, etc, is licensed to Adobe for Acrobat.

30 minutes ago, Bryce said:

...Acrobat needs improvements and updates but still there is nothing out there that has plugins available like Quite Imposing or Enfocus Pitstop which are complete essentials. 

There are other imposition plug-ins for Acrobat, at least for Windows. But there are standalone imposition applications for both OSs as well. Also, one can do imposition in pdfToolbox--it is what Pitstop uses as callas licenses that impo capability to Enfocus.

9 hours ago, MikeW said:

callas pdfToolbox. callas' preflight, etc, is licensed to Adobe for Acrobat.

I will check that out. I'm trying to watch a video but the resolution is only 144p and can't make anything out.

For imposition and numbering I would have a hard time switching as Quite is extremely powerful for cut stacks, and just numerous other things, banner labeling, and more.

Hopefully pdftoolbox does not have the 200" limit that Acrobat has been laden with even though the PDF standards had that changed to unlimited over 10 years ago.

56 minutes ago, Bryce said:

...Hopefully pdftoolbox does not have the 200" limit that Acrobat has been laden with even though the PDF standards had that changed to unlimited over 10 years ago.

It has the same viewing limit. At least the version 9.x series has and suspect v.10 does--but I don't know for certain.

But I can make a 400" PDF in anything capable of such a pdf size that will fully display in either just fine. And they will RIP properly with at least a new enough RIP based upon the Adobe Print Engine. The issue has to due with a PDF's internal User Units.

Acrobat Pro DC won't display or process more than 200" in a single direction from the top left corner. AI is limited to 216" or similar, but will still get cut off in Acrobat to 200". Corel, Affinity can all make PDF's much larger, which sometimes we need. 

179892712_ScreenShot2019-08-23at9_56_46AM.thumb.jpg.a8ef5a1d7b3598a7d2f8bab31357acd5.jpg

This was a sample that made to be 300" long and it can't work with Acrobat. Preview sees it fine.

1503626065_ScreenShot2019-08-23at9_57_06AM.thumb.jpg.b5ee90b5e9abcec6da707deac4d5cab0.jpg

Our RIPs can process them just fine. It's just Adobe that won't adhere to the ISO PDF standards. I've put in feature requests for Adobe to fix this but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Is there some option that I don't have checked that allows that, or do you have a plugin that makes it do it? The Acrobat Pro DC that I have is very strict about it, which is what the message shows.

For larger things I use Apple Preview which can see it all just fine liek you mention of other readers and editors, but none that have the power of Acrobat, except maybe PDFToolbox that I don't have yet.

I looked at your file and I see it was distilled from an EPS from Corel. Is that the way you get to work? If so, what are your Distiller settings that allow this?

41 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Is there some option that I don't have checked that allows that, or do you have a plugin that makes it do it? The Acrobat Pro DC that I have is very strict about it, which is what the message shows.

For larger things I use Apple Preview which can see it all just fine liek you mention of other readers and editors, but none that have the power of Acrobat, except maybe PDFToolbox that I don't have yet.

One needs to export as an EPS and use Distiller's Oversized Pages profile and it will automatically set the User Units.

Capture_000164.png.6f1dbcfb17e5efa73d2718f5fa206895.png

So Acrobat has support but only for PDF's created by distiller - no recognizing competitor's files. Sounds like Adobe on open standards. I tried the profile and it did work but not for print production work as it's all in RGB and low quality.

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

So Acrobat has support but only for PDF's created by distiller - no recognizing competitor's files. Sounds like Adobe on open standards. I tried the profile and it did work but not for print production work as it's all in RGB and low quality.

You used AD or APub to generate the eps? As long as you used cmyk, export the eps as for export...and: You need to modify the profile. Change the color output to Unchanged or cmyk. I use unchanged as there are times I want rgb.

btw, the reason the original is set to rgb is because this profile was created for architects and others who used large pen-plotters.