You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo shows DNG file in yellow (Mac)

Hello!

I have just bought Affinity Photo because I wanted to switch from Photoshop. But unfortunately I can't use it at the moment, because all the DNG files are showing up yellow and are missing (?) a blue channel? I tried changing the colour profiles etc, but nothing works at all. 

I have found a similar thread from 2016 with the Windows version of Affinity Photo, but it does not really help me. 

Has anyone got any ideas in how to resolve this?

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 12.08.46.png

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and sorry you are having problems. I have no experience with DNG files, and am assuming they are fine in other apps. 

Have you tried changing the raw develop engine to Apple? You can find this under the Assistant Options in the top toolbar. You will need to close and then reopen your file for this to take effect. You can also change the settings there with no image open. 

If this does not help, if you upload one of your DNG files a member of staff should be able to help further if they can see the file. They might not get chance over the weekend but hopefully they will early in the week.

• Staff

Hi GRSJeremy,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try what Murfee has suggested and if that doesn't work could you provide the file in question? This will allow me to look into this further with you.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

2 hours ago, Reto Misteli said:

Thanks so much Murfee!

You saved my day :) 

After upgrading to 1.7 I had the same Problem as GRSJeremy. By changing the RAW Engine to Apple (Core Image RAW)  and reload the Image the Problem was gone.

Back to have fun with AP 

So glad it worked for you, the Affinity apps are great fun to use.:1_grinning:

Oh sorry, I didn't see the replies as I did not get an email notification and I just checked on the off chance. Yes of course I can provide you with the DNG file. I use multiple cameras, but I always convert to DNG for compatiblity issues. 

When I switch it to the Apple RAW engine it displays it just fine, which is good in the meantime. But the problem with that is, that I cannot do the lens specific adjustments like the Serif engine can do. 

Cosplay118.dng

1 hour ago, GRSJeremy said:

Oh sorry, I didn't see the replies as I did not get an email notification and I just checked on the off chance. Yes of course I can provide you with the DNG file. I use multiple cameras, but I always convert to DNG for compatiblity issues. 

When I switch it to the Apple RAW engine it displays it just fine, which is good in the meantime. But the problem with that is, that I cannot do the lens specific adjustments like the Serif engine can do. 

Cosplay118.dng

That's a shame Jeremy, maybe @Callum can do something with the Serif Engine for these files.

@GRSJeremy while you are waiting for this to happen you can manually make adjustments like distortion etc then save as a preset for use on all your other files taken with the same lens. Not the same as automatic but pretty quick if you label each preset for each lens you use.

You could load your file in the Serif Engine and make a note of the adjustments to apply them under the Apple Engine then save the preset.

14 minutes ago, Murfee said:

@GRSJeremy while you are waiting for this to happen you can manually make adjustments like distortion etc then save as a preset for use on all your other files taken with the same lens. Not the same as automatic but pretty quick if you label each preset for each lens you use.

Yes thanks for the tip! I shall do that! :D I will not let it deter me from being Adobe free :D

52 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

HI @GRSJeremy,

I'm on Windows 10 and I had no problems developing your DNG-file.

I exported it as a TIFF-file (98 MB)

Cosplay118.tiff

Cosplay118 Prt Sc.jpg

Thanks for the efforts :) Well I think it will be a Mac Issue I take it? As far as I know both the Windows version and the Mac version are treated seperately. So I just hope that someone can shed some light into this at some point :) .

I am also open for a Teamviewer session if it helps the Affinity people :)

• Staff
17 hours ago, Murfee said:

It opens with a yellow tint on my Mac with the Serif engine...it must be a different engine in Windows

Its the same engine so I'm not sure why that might have happened. I will look into this further on Monday :)

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Just now, Callum said:

Its the same engine so I'm not sure why that might have happened. I will look into this further on Monday :)

Thanks Callum, its certainly strange. After developing it with the yellow tint any type of colour adjustments affecting yellow are really strange, White Balance is really weird if you adjust the sliders, slightly better using the picker...but still not right. So it might not just be the develop engine.

7 minutes ago, GRSJeremy said:

How do I know that the staff knows about this bug? I am still a little bit confused, because I am trying to find a contact on the affinity website, but all it says is to post in this forum :)

Callum is staff, he has said he will look into this on Monday :)

21 hours ago, Murfee said:

Callum is staff, he has said he will look into this on Monday :)

Oh Sorry, I never realised that the moderators are staff too :D Normally the forums are not that integrated with the staff in there :D

Just now, GRSJeremy said:

Oh Sorry, I never realised that the moderators are staff too :D Normally the forums are not that integrated with the staff in there :D

No they aren’t, that is one of the many good things about Affinity. Hopefully he will get back to you soon, if not it will probably be because they are really busy since the launch of Publisher. What is more likely to happen is a few bugs will get sorted then they will release a new beta. Keep an eye on the Beta forums, the release notes will let you know what has been fixed, the betas run fine alongside your release version.

16 hours ago, GRSJeremy said:

Oh Sorry, I never realised that the moderators are staff too :D 

With most desktop browsers you should see something like below next to each post, so the black bar with the stars & "Staff" in it is a pretty good clue about who Callum's employer might be ... :ph34r:
785177160_Callumsidpanel.jpg.d3f3d5978a771381ad05402134f3eeb4.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, R C-R said:

With most desktop browsers you should see something like below next to each post, so the black bar with the stars & "Staff" in it is a pretty good clue about who Callum's employer might be ... :ph34r:
785177160_Callumsidpanel.jpg.d3f3d5978a771381ad05402134f3eeb4.jpg

Yes that might be correct and I have seen it :), but I am just not used to the fact that staff are so approachable, that's all... I am in different forums, and the forum staff is getting called "staff" there too, but they are not directly involved with the product itself, as the company structures are usually way bigger and less approachable... I am just pleasantly surprised, especially coming from Adobe where it is really the opposite... The staff on their forums is not really the staff working on the product... That was my point really :)

Hi @GRSJeremy

There is a new Beta for the Mac, the release notes show that the yellow tint problem has been fixed. :) How about that for service :D

53 minutes ago, Andy Somerfield said:

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Submitted

Download DMG: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first beta of Affinity Photo 1.7.2 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.7.1 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes This Build

- Selection refinement - performance and stability improvements.
- Fixed clone brush issues when sampling from current layer & below.
- Inpainting performance improvements.
- Import 16bit half float JPEG-XR files properly.
- Allow .jxr files to be dragged in.
- Text performance improvements.
- Improved LAB colour conversions.
- Fixed healing brush bugs.
- Fixed badly placed stepper buttons in tone mapping UI.
- Pantone palettes are now sorted alphabetically.
- Fixed crash when starting app in a folder containing weird characters.
- Fixed yellow colour cast on certain DNG files.
- Fixed 360 degree images losing metadata on export.
- Localisation improvements.

• 2 years later...