You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I did not find the answer in the user manual. I want to crop an image. It is usually a rectangular surface, to make a new image. The answer provided by the technical support is completely useless because it does not explain anything.

Here is how I proceed with an old software, Photofiltre in old version (2012). This is about the same process more accurate and faster with GIMP 2019.

How to do from begin to end with Photo?

Thanks.

photofiltre-crop-01.png

photofiltre-crop-02.png

photofiltre-crop-03.png

photofiltre-crop-04.png

photofiltre-crop-05.png

photofiltre-crop-06.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Thank you, Mikerofoto.

So I had to actually click the Apply button! Gross cropping (on the fly) is now done.

How to realize the smart crop that will detect the "edges", here the border that delimits the page. Step before the last screen copy (5) to automatically obtain the final image (6).

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

To apply the crop yes, you click apply or enter on keyboard.

Once you select crop tool (c), you can choose unconstrained, original size or custom size, to get the lock to edges, if I’m not wrong is from the red U shape magnet icon top middle bar. When you move your crop selection you’ll see a red and green line appearing meaning you’re aligned horizontal and/or vertical.

*that picture above was an image result of google search.

Sorry, but, the terms in English differ from French, which creates a misunderstanding. Can I ask in screenshot how should I proceed?

I did not understand how to remove the yellow part of this image and so crop only the white page. I imagine that it must be done with one click with Photo since softwares like GIMP and Photofiltre do it very easily. How to proceed ?

photofiltre-crop-07.png

5 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

I did not understand how to remove the yellow part of this image and so crop only the white page. I imagine that it must be done with one click with Photo since softwares like GIMP and Photofiltre do it very easily. How to proceed ?

You have a border that is partly yellow, partly pink, and partly a gradient.

If that is what you want to remove, then no, it is not a one-click operation, as far as I know. You could:

1. Use the Crop Tool, and adjust the handles so only the white part is within the crop box, and press Apply.
  2. Or you could use the Rectangle Tool, and draw a Rectangle from the upper left corner of the white part to the lower right corner. Make sure the rectangle has a fill color. Then right-click on the Rectangle layer in the Layers panel, and select Mask to Below. Then use Document > Clip Canvas.

There may be other methods that I am not thinking of at the moment.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, Walt.Farrell.

I am a little surprised by the complication that seems imposed. The difficulty here comes from the yellow to pink gradient that imposes an intermediate step to standardize the color otherwise everything would be done in one click.

Here is what a software released in 2012, Photofiltre, and GIMP was doing long before that. There must still be such an elegant solution with Photo! Photofiltre is still light years away from Photo!

https://we.tl/t-C5lRp8XZNJ

Hi,

You could try adding a white outline to the document to hide the yellow border in Layer Effects.

Click on the Effects tab, tick Outline and then click on the cog wheel for more settings: Set Alignment to Inside and increase the radios.

There is no smart bucket fill tool that fills to bounded area in Affinity programs, tho i believe it is on the road map.

:) Serif wrote me a message that will please many of us.

We do not have a feature that you have shown in your video, but I can get it as an enhancement.

Seeing the quality of its other products, I imagine that it will certainly be much better than the video of this old competitor software, that we can for example indicate the color of border (here gray, with a margin of outlandishness).

My thoughts would be to first make a rectangular selection to encompass the text, then with the Add option selected, use the Flood Select tool to select the rest. Then, either copy the selection, or invert it and delete the rest.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630