You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: 2 ways to insert a Picture into a Frame

Hello!

There seems to be some inconsistent or even buggy behavior with Picture Frames.

1 - The 'regular' way to embed a picture into a frame is this:

drag&drop the picture ONTO the Frame's name in the Layers panel, OR drag&drop the picture from the Exploder into the Frame in the canvas, OR select the Frame and use File > 'Place'

The Picture icon then gets this tiny frame icon in the bottom left corner in the Layers panel, and when selecting the Frame on the canvas, it shows those neat transform handles for the picture content.

2 - The second way is this:

Cut the picture > turn on 'Insert inside the Selection' > Paste, OR drag&drop the Picture UNDERNEATH the Frame icon (as a child) in the Layers panel.

In that case the Picture does not get this tiny frame icon in the Layers panel, and there are no extra content transform handles on the canvas.

Both cases have more or less the same effect - you crop a Picture with a Frame. Bit strange, but ok so far.

Bug:

It is possible to 'convert' method 2 into method 1 - when you drag&drop the Picture child onto the Frame name. However, I recently got a crash in doing so. I could not reproduce it, but it happened. Shouldn't, with such a central feature.

Also, once method 1 was used to insert the Picture, and you 'unparent' it in the Layer panel (drag the picture back out), then use method 2 to put it back in, it always shows the tiny frame icon in the Layers panel and the Frame the extra content transform handles on the canvas.

Hope it's clear what I mean. Best to fiddle around with it for testing.

Thanks!

Best regards

• Staff

Hi Tupaia,

Thanks, I've logged how paste inside doesn't seem to give the picture frame handles on the image.

I'm having a go at reproducing this crash but not had any luck so far, but have spotted another issue when looking into this.

Also, once method 1 was used to insert the Picture, and you 'unparent' it in the Layer panel (drag the picture back out), then use method 2 to put it back in, it always shows the tiny frame icon in the Layers panel and the Frame the extra content transform handles on the canvas.

I'm struggling to reproduce what you describe here, not sure if i'm misunderstanding

Thanks for the report

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.