You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any reason why I cannot Subtract a circle from this image in the attached file?

Subtraction.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Use a mask, a mask must have a fill to work.

• Fill the ellipse with black
  • right click on the Ellipse layer and select Mask to Below

The benefits of using a mask are, you can reposition the mask, you can scale the mask, you can apply effects to the mask. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

LOL I've never used Pixel Persona before! Interesting - I might use this again some time!

Thanks for the tip.

What, in a nutshell, would be an overall reason to use this persona?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Mixing vectors and raster, pixel persona allows you to edit raster objects within Affinity Designer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

• right click on the circle and select Mask to Below

The benefits of using a mask are, you can reposition the mask, you can scale the mask, you can apply effects to the mask. 

Thanks also for this method. Once again this is a first for me as I have never used masking before!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Mixing vectors and raster, pixel persona allows you to edit raster objects within Affinity Designer.

When in the Pixel Persona the drawing tools are not visible or could they be or does it mean jumping from one Persons to another?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

You jump from one to the other, they are kind of mini apps within a larger app.

3 minutes ago, jackamus said:

16 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

• right click on the circle and select Mask to Below

When I right click there is no option to 'Mask to Below' only 'Rasterise to Mask"is the nearest option!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

When I right click there is no option to 'Mask to Below' only 'Rasterise to Mask"is the nearest option!

You click on the ellipse layer not the object in the workspace, my wording should have been better, apologises. I've edited the instructions to be clearer.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-16-at-10-14-00.png

Sorry! I was clicking on actual image rather than the layer.

This is a very useful feature especially that I can apply effects to it as well.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

When I right click there is no option to 'Mask to Below'

You can also effect masking by dragging the circle (or whatever) in the Layers panel and dropping it onto the thumbnail of the target layer.

Masking is just another name for cropping, as in ‘Crop to Shape’ in DrawPlus. If you look closely at the mask thumbnail in the Layers panel, you should see a cropping icon there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

Is there any reason why I cannot Subtract a circle from this image in the attached file?

Subtraction.afdesign

Since the image is an "(Image)" layer, in the Designer Persona the Layer menu > Convert to Curves option is available. Choose that, select both objects, & Subtract should work. Subtraction via convert to curves.afdesign includes the history, including an extra last step to change the document's background to transparent to show that the circle is subtracted.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7