You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Gerhard Herboeck,

Welcome to the forums :)

Affinitys Histogram is designed for the R, G & B channels only, unfortunately we don't currently have a dedicated Histogram for Brightness, my apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Affinitys Histogram is designed for the R, G & B channels only, unfortunately we don't currently have a dedicated Histogram for Brightness, my apologies.

There was something in 1.6, though, in addition to R, G, and B. Was it intentionally removed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

50 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There was something in 1.6, though, in addition to R, G, and B. Was it intentionally removed?

I think it was view in Colour or Greyscale for the channels.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I think it was view in Colour or Greyscale for the channels.

It showed as a white region on the histogram, overlaid on the R, G, and B regions.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It showed as a white region on the histogram, overlaid on the R, G, and B regions.

Like the OP mentioned, on p. 31 of my copy of the Photo Workbook that white region is visible. My guess is it is related to luminosity, but the workbook does not say what it represents.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

My sincerest apologies, I thought that Luminance had been removed from the Histogram, as the white that was present previously was representative of the luminosity values in the image.

This was updated in version 1.7 - we now use Light Blue to represent the Luminosity values, which is still visible on the histogram but admittedly this is harder to spot now. This has been raised with our developers. 

Thanks for raising the image used in the workbook, I've passed this through to our QA & documentation teams.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This was updated in version 1.7 - we now use Light Blue to represent the Luminosity values, which is still visible on the histogram but admittedly this is harder to spot now.

FWIW, in the Light UI style it is a darker blue than the blue channel, & in the Dark UI style, the blue channel is nearly invisible.

Also, when I was checking this with the Histogram panel undocked & set to about 1/6th the width of the screen & toggling back & forth between Light & Dark UI styles in the Preferences > User Interface window in front of it, Affinity Photo 1.7.0 crashed. I don't like to attach crash reports to pubic forums for privacy/security reasons but if you want I can upload it to your Dropbox if you give me a link for that. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, in the Light UI style it is a darker blue than the blue channel, & in the Dark UI style, the blue channel is nearly invisible.

Thanks for letting me know, I was unaware of this!

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

with the Histogram panel undocked & set to about 1/6th the width of the screen & toggling back & forth between Light & Dark UI styles in the Preferences > User Interface window in front of it, Affinity Photo 1.7.0 crashed.

I've tried to replicate this on both Mac and Windows but so far I've had no luck. Your crash report would be more than useful :)
https://www.dropbox.com/request/sl5BAFF4EfIS04jEzvgp

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Your crash report would be more than useful :)

Sent to your dropbox just now.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Hey R C-R,

I've got the crash log waiting to go to development but I was wondering if this is something you can reproduce again? I've just spent 10 minutes toggling Light UI on and off and it refuses to crash. This is with my Histogram covering the entire width of my screen.

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've got the crash log waiting to go to development but I was wondering if this is something you can reproduce again?

So far, it is just a one time thing that I have not been able to reproduce.

Probably not of much help but I noticed that the one time it did happen, it took an unusually long time to toggle from my usual dark style to the light one -- something like 5 seconds instead of almost immediately -- & the crash happened when trying to switch from that back to dark.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Hi,

Workbook update..

I've logged that the screenshot on p.31 will need to be looked at on reprint (changing from white to light blue). The 'white' area is implied to be luminance as the text on the left spread states "The Histogram Panel shows the distribution of Red, Green, Blue and Luminance values for the image, layer or current marquee selection."  

Cheers

Andy

1 hour ago, acapstick said:

Workbook update..

I've logged that the screenshot on p.31 will need to be looked at on reprint (changing from white to light blue).

Couldn't we get the code changed to go back to the way it was before, Andy?

Seriously, why change to blue for luminance, which forces us to figure out each time which of the two blue sections is Blue, and which is Luminance?
image.png.730cf44de2d0de089e3d88c0fb603ca7.png

Or, in Light UI:

image.png.e37a5abe5212846832dde51dad5711c7.png

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi Walt, 

This is with the Photo lead developer to decide what to do. I've mentioned on our internal fault reporting system about the implications when using light UI so I'd imagine they will consider that.  The workbooks will change to reflect the UI, i.e. whatever works for both UI styles.

\AndyC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 4:09 PM, Alareta said:

Hi
The current solution is very confusing. I think the white color is perfect, at least leave an option to change it, please.

Or the option of being able to see only the luminance, as you can select the color channels individually.

Thanks

The area that was white and now is a dingy blue is not luminance; it is simply where the red, green and blue areas overlap. A grey would be good; pure white is too intense, in my opinion.

• Staff
16 hours ago, henryg said:

No updates in the last 6 months? Is there now a user setting/option? It is really very poor as is - why would the developer/s want it like this?

AFAIK, it's not been changed. It's was changed because of user feedback but @Chris B logged it with the developers and i'll bump it again.