Sign in to follow this  
ashf

Affinity file format support on XnView

This is not request for Affinity Suite itself but compatibility with 3rd party software.

XnView is one of most popular image browser and it's free.
It's faster than Adobe Bridge and has more features.

So I would like you to communicate with them and help them to add Affinity file format support to XnView MP.

XnView MP can display Affinity file previews well. I do not think there will be any additional format support coming. Or what would you like to XnView MP to do?

It is not working for me. XnView MP MacOSX 0.93.1, Affinity Photo 1.7.1, MacOS 10.14.5. All I see for .afphoto files is the App icon.

I am saving thumbnails; they show in Finder.

How can I make it work?

- newbie susan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1903)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

36 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

It shows Designer and Photo previews but NOT Publisher previews...

I have all 3 working in Windows 10 explorer though.

I see the same on Windows.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Also, it doesn't seem to depend on the extension. A .afpub renamed to .afdesign still doesn't show the thumbnail in XnViewMP. Also, a .afpub file opened in Designer and saved as a .afdesign file doesn't show the thumbnail.

However, an artboard-based document created and saved in Publisher as a .afdesign file does show the thumbnail in XnViewMP (though one saved as a .afpub doesn't).

I suspect that the XnViewMP developers wrote code to read the Affinity files directly, rather than using the proper Windows API to extract the thumbnail. But that's something the XnViewMP developers would have to comment on, and something that should be raised with them.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

On 7/14/2019 at 1:34 AM, walt.farrell said:

Also, it doesn't seem to depend on the extension. A .afpub renamed to .afdesign still doesn't show the thumbnail in XnViewMP. Also, a .afpub file opened in Designer and saved as a .afdesign file doesn't show the thumbnail.

However, an artboard-based document created and saved in Publisher as a .afdesign file does show the thumbnail in XnViewMP (though one saved as a .afpub doesn't).

I suspect that the XnViewMP developers wrote code to read the Affinity files directly, rather than using the proper Windows API to extract the thumbnail. But that's something the XnViewMP developers would have to comment on, and something that should be raised with them.

Yes, it's a bit strange. Afdesign and afphoto do work but afpub doesn't show up. It should work since all 3 extension are completely the same.

3 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

Yes, it's a bit strange. Afdesign and afphoto do work but afpub doesn't show up. It should work since all 3 extension are completely the same.

I think my findings show that XnViewMP has specific code for handling .afphoto and .afdesign files, and doesn't even try to look at .afpub.

-- Walt