You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make brush build up when painting over same area?

Hi,

First of all sorry for this question as I've probably just missed something obvious somewhere but what I'm trying to do is to paint with a brush set at say for example 10% but so that if you paint over an area it should build up and get more and more opaque.

Currently to do this if I set the brush to say 10% and paint over the whole canvas I'd get my colour all over at 10%. What I want to happen is that the paint starts to build up so I can make it more opaque in places and not others but without having to lift my finger and start painting again. 

Is this possible at all? I've used it in another App and thought it would be possible in AP but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Many thanks for any help with this. 

Best wishes,

Mark

P.S. Sorry should have mentioned I'm using an iPad Air 2 so no pressure sensitivity. 

• 3 months later...

Instead of setting “opacity” to 10% (which will only build up with repeated strokes, each after lifting your finger) leave the opacity at 100% and set the “flow” to 10%. This should do what you’re after.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Hi,

Have you tried changing the Accumulation setting to Cyclic with the opacity setting reduced a bit, I set accumulation to about 50% and opacity 75%. There isn’t the Airbrush mode in Affinity so it’s a matter of just playing around with brush settings.

I just try that, but i still need to move the brush to get "paint" on the canvas.

the behavior i'm trying to reproduce is i maintain the brush still in one spot, and click for a prolonged period of time, and the paint accumulate (build up) on the canvas.

it's a very usefull brush behavior for any painting app, i i cant manage to find a way to do that in affinity.

Does the wet edges setting with force pressure help? 

Your probably looking for some type of live brush that simulates  a realistic paint effect, might be worth posting in feature requests and adding an interest in getting that kind of brush added.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...