You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White Halo Around Images With Transparent Background 1.7.0.367

You need a decent monitor to be able to see it clearly, but there's a white halo around my masked objects when put on a transparent background. However, as you can see when I overlap one object over the other, that white halo is not really there. This was concerning when I first saw it -- after spending 10 minutes editing a photo, I realized that I messed up my mask, leaving white on the edge, and I might have to start over. Turns out that it was just a rendering error. Here's an example: 

• Staff

Hi HuniSenpai :)

This isn't something I've seen before, could you please provide a copy of the .afphoto file so I can investigate this further?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 6/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, Dan C said:

Hi HuniSenpai :)

This isn't something I've seen before, could you please provide a copy of the .afphoto file so I can investigate this further?

sorry for the delay. I was busy on the weekend and today.

I can't provide a copy of this file in particular since it's for a product photography client of mine, but here's a sample of the same image. It still exhibits the same problem. I'm sure you can go through the undo history but eh, i'm sure it's fine. 

For some reason it sometimes decides to not happen. I wasn't able to recreate the problem on a different photo. Which is unusual, because I used a .NEF for both of them. The file named "test" used the same kind of procedure (make a selection using lasso or quick select (i've tried both; neither seem to be correlated with the problem) and then copy and paste it onto a new layer.) 

Let me know if the file (sample.afphoto) does the same sort of thing for you. And "test.afphoto" is an example when the problem doesn't occur.

Now that I look between the photos more, it seems like the only difference between the files is that sample.afphoto uses 32bit HDR whereas the test.afphoto uses 16 bit. So it seems to be a glitch pertaining to just HDR images. I am not using an HDR display, so perhaps that is the issue.

sample.afphoto

test.afphoto

• Staff

Thanks for that, I've logged this with our developers to be investigated as it appears we don't correctly compensate for semi-transparent pixels in a linear (32bit) space.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

This is still a bug. The document background is white, even if I selected transparent. And there is a transparent "halo" around images with transparency, i.e a logo.

Affinity has also document problems, i.e bugs, with Affinity Designer. Sometimes, the background is not filled with white. So there seems to be an unstable system for document backgrounds all over. I've reported this issue with screen dumps and all a long time ago.

Please: reprogram the background functionality so it works properly. As it is, it's very frustrating.