You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping image to a group

Hi,

i have created a group comprising of several squares with a thin border each and want to clip an image to that group such that the image shows through the squares and the borders of the squares show as being on top of the image.

when I drag the image to the group so that the blue line shows as half way in the group all that happens is the image is added to the group rather than clipped by the group. If I drag the image so that the blue line is half way through one of the squares in the group it clips just fine to that square but I want it clipped by all of the squares in the group. How can I get the image to be clipped by the entire group please?

Many thanks

Gary

@garywi Select the group and drag it onto the icon of the image (no blue line, icon turns blue). Now let go. :)

512C321C-8325-46A3-BEB0-86333A59C6C7.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

13 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Select the group and drag it onto the icon of the image (no blue line, icon turns blue).

That’s cropping/masking rather than clipping/nesting, but it should work for something like this. The alternative would be to Boolean add the rectangles instead of grouping them, so that there’s a single object to which the image can be clipped.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks guys. So what is the difference between dragging something and getting the blue line to dragging something over the icon?

i also tried the Boolean add before and ended up with one solid shape rather than individual squares?

Gary

10 minutes ago, garywi said:

Thanks guys. So what is the difference between dragging something and getting the blue line to dragging something over the icon?

i also tried the Boolean add before and ended up with one solid shape rather than individual squares?

Gary

When you drag a shape over the thumbnail in the Layers Studio, the image is cropped to (i.e. masked by) that shape and the shape itself disappears. The blue line indicates the clipping/nesting position, where the image is clipped to the shape but the rest of the clipping shape remains visible.

crop-vs-clip.png

When ‘adding’ shapes, you shouldn’t get a single, solid shape unless the original shapes were overlapping.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

That’s cropping/masking rather than clipping/nesting, but it should work for something like this. 

I think it’s preferable, as it allows you to select individual shapes and add to or reposition them easily. @garywi The attachment explains it pretty well but I can never remember which is what, cropping/clipping, usually get a result by trial and error.xD

Clipping vs Masking v2.pdf

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

19 minutes ago, garywi said:

Please can you tell me which screen capture app you have used?

Screen and video capture are both included in iOS 11 or later.

How to take a screenshot on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

How to record the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Alfred spacer.png