You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.1.399 (GM Preview)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements and Fixes
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above
Download: No longer available
Auto-update: No longer available

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Build 399 (GM Preview) is now available as a download from the link above. This is the build we hope to  ship to customers next week.

After launch we will start a new Customer Beta for those who have purchased the software and wish to have early access to on-going updates and fixes.

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread. 

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks to all users in the forum who have helped us get to where we are - we couldn't have done it without you.

---

Fixes and updates

Menus / Studio
Turned 'Clip To Canvas' off by default for Publisher only
Moved Stock panel to left had side in default studio setup
Shadows and Highlights updates
(Mac) Selection of swatch in Swatch Palette now considers overprint
(Win) Custom panel height is no longer reset on reopening the app
(Win) Fixes for Gradient Colour selector
(Win) Setting CMYK Colour profile in preferences was blanking Grey profile
(Win) Fixed Tint slider for Column Guides colour
(Mac) Fix for HSL Adjustment crashing on some setups

Tools
Fixed Drag-clone with Alt behaviour in Move Tool

Text / Tables
Fixed possible hang processing 'Keep With Next'
Fixed possible hang resizing table cells
Apply with Next Style was producing local formatting only
Fix for crash deleting pinned images in specific file
Setting capitalisation options on fields was causing them to disappear

Find and Replace
Updated search results to not display <U+XXXX> notation

Index
Fix issue with stale index topics failing to save correctly

Import / Export
Fixed issue exporting zero size bitmaps
---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 384

Woot! Pre-ordered and ready to go.

Feature question: Will we see the ability to Span Columns (and likewise, Split Columns) on individual lines of text? This is indispensable for setting a double column layout with a single spanning headline, I use this feature in InDesign in about a third of all my projects.

8 hours ago, AdamW said:

Selection of swatch in Swatch Palette now considers overprint

Sadly, selection of global colors is still broken.  I can have two global colors set up in a document that are initially configured to the exact same RGB/CMYK value and options (such as overprint) and when I select an object that is assigned to any of them, the first one in the palette is selected, in spite of the fact that the objects are not all attached to that same global color.

This is bad.

9 hours ago, AdamW said:

(Mac) Selection of swatch in Swatch Palette now considers overprint

Looks like the overprint can be applied on pdf export, but not on images like jpg or tiff. Adobe InDesign have this feature on 'Attributes.'

On 6/15/2019 at 5:14 PM, AdamW said:

Tools
Fixed Drag-clone with Alt behaviour in Move Tool

Thank you so much! Command-drag is a feasible solution for deciding-to-clone-while-dragging — though somewhat redundant: Command-drag does what Alt-drag does –only more of it.

If Publisher instead would take into account the state of the Alt key after the dragging process started — just like it does now with the Command key – the Alt key alone would suffice for what now takes two different keys. As it is now Command-drag works exactly like Alt-drag in macOS Finder does. So for the sake of system wide consistency: Why not just use Alt-drag with the Cmd-drag functionality and leave the Cmd key alone (or use it for other/future purposes like e.g. initiating a symbol instance)?

On 6/15/2019 at 8:14 AM, AdamW said:

This is the build we hope to  ship to customers next week.

Hope not...

744058665_ScreenShot2019-06-16at11_00_40AM.thumb.png.1c1519203eede14140d9ff660b045275.png

Can't get much later than this right?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, AdamW said:

This is the build we hope to  ship to customers next week.

If this is the build then the personas still don't work, but I'm guessing that won't work until the actual version. I have the MAS versions of Designer and Photo - or do they need to be the Affinity Store versions?

I believe I've heard that the Personas will first work for us with the 1.7.1 retail (not beta) versions of the products, which should become available soon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The one feature I think is needed is the ability to quickly arrange pages/spreads.  Right now if I have 50 spreads and then want to rearrange the order it's a bit of a painful process dragging one before the other and another one after the other, etc.  To be fair, it's the same pain in InDesign. But why can't there be a full screen view of the spreads as large thumbnails.  It would really help speed up the ordering process. This is more of a feature request than a bug I realize but felt it was important to bring up again.

1 hour ago, abarkalo said:

The one feature I think is needed is the ability to quickly arrange pages/spreads.  Right now if I have 50 spreads and then want to rearrange the order it's a bit of a painful process dragging one before the other and another one after the other, etc.  To be fair, it's the same pain in InDesign. But why can't there be a full screen view of the spreads as large thumbnails.  It would really help speed up the ordering process. This is more of a feature request than a bug I realize but felt it was important to bring up again.

You can resize the Pages panel… or am i missing something? 

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe I've heard that the Personas will first work for us with the 1.7.1 retail (not beta) versions of the products, which should become available soon.

That's weird, I was using that the other week after Designer and Photo were updated on the app store - its brilliant.

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The Personas will work in future Betas. However, my guess is that only Personas that you own the software for will work, like how it will work for the live version. As for retail, Publisher 1.7.0 will activate its Personas once it launches regardless if you have 1.7.1 or 1.7.0 installed for Photo and Designer. At least when I have been using the bugged version of Publisher that activated the two Personas it has been working like that.

2 hours ago, floflo said:

You can resize the Pages panel… or am i missing something? 

One second thought I feel there should be a button that quickly expands out the pages thumbnails panels and quickly closes it. A lot of slow dragging back and forth to see the expanded view of the thumbnails. 

The software internal diff updating ...

update1.thumb.jpg.c26a820c2f1b5ecfaabfc03c3825d7e8.jpg

three_times.jpg.373541143104fd44ea77ad110c5acf46.jpg

... doesn't work correctly!!! - I've done the 26,7 MB download 3x times now, during the install the software doesn't request to restart, the info panel always remains at the previous version 1.7.0.384. When the app is (after a bunch of time manually) restarted it always again tells that there is an updated version available. - So internal updating runs in an endless loop here with that version.

Please do a better overall quality and installation control here, lately for all Affinity apps the whole leaves much to be desired and things seem to be overall published too early and hectic!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 minutes ago, icomposer said:

Dear Team,

does the Publisher support Arabic writing from right to left? It seems that the beta version only puts the letters but does not connect them logically? BTW same problem I am facing with Affinity Photo. I appreciate your reply

No, it does not, yet. None of the Affinity applications have support for languages that are written from right to left, nor vertically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1