You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What happened to the import of styles?

1.) I'm importing a Word document into APub, containing styles such as Normal, heading 1 and so on.

2.) In APub, all styles seem to have gone. However, the first field in Text Styles pane shows something like heading 1 + ...

3.) I'm choosing Delete all ununsed styles.

4.) The Text Styles pane only shows [No Style] [No Style].

Bottom line: formatting still is there, style names have gone

Styles-have-gone.png

5 hours ago, Interior Book Design said:

It is weird, in some instances, it works, in some, it doesn't. I've attached an image and the corresponding Word doc to show that it hasn't worked.

PublisherTestdoc.docx

Hello @Interior Book Design,

I tried with your .docx file and the import seems to work fine, see screenshot:

docx-import.thumb.png.79bc668627d839aa0922bd2a530b8d9c.png

I realize that your Tools palette looks very different from mine. I did a CTRL+startup recently. So mine is most likely the default setting. Maybe you can try to do a CTRL+startup as well to try and see if this somehow makes things more reliable?

Cheers,
d.

PS: I hesitate to include an image of myself holding a CS6 box in front of the camera ;-)

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Your file works just fine for me, too, using File > Place. Even the Normal style came in properly labeled.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, dominik said:

Maybe you can try to do a CTRL+startup as well to try and see if this somehow makes things more reliable? 

Good idea, this helped solving the problems with my short doc, completely. Thanks, Dominik!

It didn't, however, solve the "Normal style disappears problem" in my long docs. In some of my docs, Normal style still turns into [No Style].

10 minutes ago, Interior Book Design said:

Good idea, this helped solving the problems with my short doc, completely. Thanks, Dominik!

It didn't, however, solve the "Normal style disappears problem" in my long docs. In some of my docs, Normal style still turns into [No Style].

Glad that it helped to some extent :)

There is always the chance especially in longer documents that they have a certain history of how they were created (over time). E.g. often some sections have been brought in by copy and paste from another source. This can cause all kind of funny formating in the background even if it is not visible at first sight.

This applies not only to Word but to all more complex word processors in general.

It is always a good idea to clean up such a document by making sure that all text styles are unified and applied properly. Perhaps you can try with some of the faulty paragraphs and try and see if this improves things during import?

This is a little poking in the dark but I made my experiences with Word documents ;)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

No, don't blame Word. If I import the same Word docs into PagePlus, it works like a charme. Dominik, it definitely has to do with the name of the style: Normal (Standard). Because if I rename the style to jch_Standard, APub imports nicely. This very bug I had experienced with older versions of QuarkXPress, but never with InDesign. InDesigns Word import is and has always been just perfect.

24 minutes ago, Interior Book Design said:

No, don't blame Word. If I import the same Word docs into PagePlus, it works like a charme.

I can't compare with PagePlus because I don't own it. Perhaps it is more complex and it will turn out to be a bug in APub. I just want to point out (from own experience) that long term compiled word processor documents can have (and bring with them) their own caveates. Ideally APub would handle all of them well :)

d.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.