You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys!
I hope everyone has a wonderful day)

I needed to embed several external files into my Designer project.
It should be attached to the project, but I should be able to edit the files independently of Designer.
In other words, it is reflected in the Designer project.

Abstract example: I have several * .afdesign files with logos
And there are also several * .afdesign projects that use these logos.
I need a mechanic in which I can embed logo in all projects, then edit or simply replace the file with the logo in Finder, and returning to Designer projects to find out that the logo in it is also wonderfully updated (even if it requires restarting the program)

Tell me please, is there such an opportunity?
If not, is it planned in the foreseeable future?

AFAIK there isn't such a just file reference based loose coopling in Designer. Meaning if you use an embedded/placed file in a Designer document it doesn't automatically change/update depending on the external file contents. - So you would probably have to use workarounds here, like making several logos as symbols and then storing those in an over file boundaries reusable assets category or the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for your reply

I tried to figure out how it works, in a sense, it solves half of the problem.
But unfortunately in Assets you can not put a link file, or something like that.
Also, I did not find the possibility to edit an existing Object in the Assets category.

The Assets panels only offers to add or remove objects, if you want to alter an object you have to work on a symbol (synchronized symbol) instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It would be better, I think, for you to use Publisher when it becomes available for purchase. It supports linked files, and will have a Designer Persona that should allow you to work with artboards if you want to. Though we don't know the full details of how that Persona will work, I believe the combination of Publisher's support for linked files and the Designer Persona to work on them should provide exactly what you need.

If there is something in the Designer application that you need, that is not supported in the Designer Persona, you could simply switch from Publisher into the full Designer application using File > Edit in Designer, or you could simply open your .afpub file in Designer to do that work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1