Pattou

Haze removal filter : is it functional ?

The first time I wish to use this filter. I do not see any effect on my picture (tiff, 16bits)... nothing, whatever the cursors position (of any cursor).

A chance to have it functional and as a live filter ?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

Seems to work here. I've attached 2 samples. The first is the developed CR2(Raw) file, the second, the 16bit Tiff generated from the Raw file.

HazeRemoval_beta390Raw.jpg.e48d81fe5cee1c90419e4c1fb9279e55.jpg

HazeRemoval_beta390Tiff.jpg.aecba61ea7efb572a5c3f2fbe1a84c71.jpg

It would be nice to have the Haze Removal Filter as a Live Filter.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

4 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Seems to work here. I've attached 2 samples. The first is the developed CR2(Raw) file, the second, the 16bit Tiff generated from the Raw file.

It would be nice to have the Haze Removal Filter as a Live Filter.

Thanks Ron for your reply and testing :). Clearly, it works for you... no way in my hands. I start again the PC and further test it.

First, I thought it was  a Live filter but since (i) it is destructive and (ii) we can not apply a mask to it, I find less easy to use it for editing.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

@Pattou,

So the question is why it's not working for you? We're both running Win10, mine is the Home version while you run the Pro version. I have an older Nvidia graphics card. Those 2 items are about the only things I can think of that might have a part in the Haze filter's behaviour being different. Have you tried pushing the Haze Filter's adjustments to the max just to see if it is working at least a little on your images? With one image I tried this on I had to, since there really wasn't a lot of haze for the filter to work with. Just a thought.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I was trying the Haze Removal Filter yesterday and first I thought too, it has no effect. After playing around with it for a while, it seemed it works a bit wayward - only with the pixel layer selected (destructive).

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404  |   Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

Windows 10 Home 64bit 1903 | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

42 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

So the question is why it's not working for you? We're both running Win10, mine is the Home version while you run the Pro version. I have an older Nvidia graphics card. Those 2 items are about the only things I can think of that might have a part in the Haze filter's behaviour being different. Have you tried pushing the Haze Filter's adjustments to the max just to see if it is working at least a little on your images? With one image I tried this on I had to, since there really wasn't a lot of haze for the filter to work with. Just a thought.

Ok, I could see an effect and indeed, the effect can be very (very) weak on some of them. However, on some pictures which display a kind of haze, I could not see any effect.

I was maybe wrong thinking that this filter should anyway increase the overall (micro-)contrast....quite different of what I could get in the past with Lightroom.

Thanks all for your advices and testing ;)

Cheers,

Patrick

1 hour ago, Pattou said:

Thanks Ron for your reply and testing :). Clearly, it works for you... no way in my hands. I start again the PC and further test it.

First, I thought it was  a Live filter but since (i) it is destructive and (ii) we can not apply a mask to it, I find less easy to use it for editing.

Suggest you duplicate Background layer, before applying Haze.  This allows you a measure of security as a non-destructive layer.  Just delete the duplicate layers if results are unsatisfactory.

Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection