Loader

Will Affinity Designer eventually import cdr CorelDraw files?

Posted (edited)

I'm just wondering ... I have 10+ years work in CorelDraw (I've had an Adobe Illustrator license too, but somehow I never liked AI).

So now I want to switch to Affinity Designer. But apparently I can't just go and open my old .cdr CorelDraw files. I'd have to convert them to .ai Adobe Illustrator files (and potentially lose line widths etc, anyway it's a tedious extra step). 

Are there any plans to have Designer open .cdr files? 

Edited by Loader

Very unlikely, in my opinion, as the .cdr file format is proprietary to Corel and is undocumented.

If you convert your files to .ai format, be sure to use the appropriate compatibility options to ensure that the .ai files also contain a PDF representation of the data. Like .cdr, the .ai file format is proprietary, and Affinity can only read it if the PDF information is included.

You might consider (and try) simply converting to PDF rather than to .ai format.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

4 hours ago, Loader said:

Are there any plans to have Designer open .cdr files? 

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Very unlikely, in my opinion, as the .cdr file format is proprietary to Corel and is undocumented.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Try exporting from CorelDraw to another format. As with all these things, whatever features reside within CorelDraw, that don't reside in Affinity, they will not be transferred regardless of the format, in most cases those features will either be rasterised or not imported. Even if a feature is similar i.e. gradients, the method of application could be different enough to cause import issues. PDF seems to be the best bet format at the moment but don't expect miracles.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

Thank for the replies. Ok, yes, I tried pdf as the go-between and it does preserve the layers, line widths, line types, arrow types, fonts, colours, gradient fills, all done well. The only thing to do is make sure all the layers are visible and printable. As a work-around this will do I think.