You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.7.0.367] Designer crashes on opening AI-file

I just used the website gridcalculator.dk to create a design grid and export it to AI to open in Designer (or Photo). But when opening the created file Affinity immediately crashes and directly closes the software.

Not sure what's wrong here, if it's a problem inside the AI-file or something Designer doesn't like inside the file. Can't see if this file works within Illustrator. And I obviously cannot view the file in Designer to see what's wrong, because the software kills itself on opening. But at least Designer is not suppose to crash on opening a file.

Here is the link with my exact settings: http://gridcalculator.dk/#/1080/12/20/20 . 

The AI is in the attachment.

grid.ai

confirmed that the files from gridcalculator.dk crash Affinity Designer.

I'm not sure the file will work for you even if it did import correctly - as the grid is constructed with guides and they are not imported into Affinity Designer.

The document can be set up in Designer though.

Start a new document and use your document size - Document Units: Pixels - Dimensions: 1076 px x 700 px - DPI: 96 - click OK

With the new document open go to the top Menu Bar and click - View - Guides Manager

On the Guides window - Under the Column Guides enter:

Columns: 12   -    Style: Outline

Rows: 1

Gutter: 20 px

Margins: Left: 20 px - Right: 20px

press the close button.

Be sure to enable Snapping using the Magnet Icon.

hope that helps

On 6/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, adi said:

confirmed that the files from gridcalculator.dk crash Affinity Designer.

I'm not sure the file will work for you even if it did import correctly - as the grid is constructed with guides and they are not imported into Affinity Designer.

The document can be set up in Designer though.

Thanks for your confirmation and try to help @adi. I understand it's easy to setup a document with a grid indeed, but found that site and just tested it out for fun and than found this bug so reported it. Could be a nice online tool to create a grid file though, well, if it worked :)