You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.1.141 - GM Seed)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Submitted

Download DMG: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the final beta of Affinity Photo 1.7.1 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.7 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes This Build

- General performance improvements.
- Fixed Nik v1 plugins.
- Fixed hiding / showing multiple layers in layers tab.
- Shadows and highlights improvements.
- Fix for old Sony RAW files.
- Another attempt to fix sporadic HSL UI crash.
- Help tweaks.
- Localisation tweaks.

Changes Since 1.7

- Fixed brush performance issues on big documents.
- Further startup fixes for 10.7, 10.8.
- Fix crashes on Intel GPUs in macOS < 10.14.
- Fixed crash when adding a mask when editing selection as layer.
- Fixed noise filter crash when changing layer.
- Fixed Levels Metal implementation in CMYK.
- Reduce bloat when resaving 1.6 files.
- Improve Live filters appearance.

- Documents restore properly after a restart.
- Made inpainting fast again.
- Gamut check works again in soft proof.
- Fixed selection refinement working only once per document.
- Fixed posterise adjustment.
- Fixed legacy selective colour adjustments rendering wrong when they have children.
- Fixed startup crash on 10.7, 10.8. (still does not run apparently)
- Fixed potential crash in HSL adjustment.
- Fixed mixer brush crash.
- Fixed TIFF loading with Edit In extension.
- Fixed crash when adding a live filter when in "Edit selection as layer" mode.
- Fixed rogue toolbars on update.
- Fixed startup crash for some Intel GPU users.
- Fixed live denoise filters when repositioned in layer stack.
- Fixed export bugs / crashes / weird questions.
- Fixed marching ants in Metal view.
- Fixed shadows & highlights filter.
- Help improvements.
- Localisation improvements.

I just noticed that on the "News and Announcements" page "Affinity Range Mac Beta Release Notifications" it still says 1.7.0.140 instead of .14

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am thrilled that a beta fix has been issued for the Nik bug and other improvements.  ( re :  the GM seed of 1.7.1 out today )

My question :  how does one install an Affinity beta release if I purchased my Photo app via the Apple App Store ?  Do I have to wait till Apple blesses it and makes it available ?  < groan >

It does no matter, where you bought your Affinity apps.

Just click onto the download link in the initial post of this thread, double click onto the .dmg file, which will be downloaded and follow the instructions. The beta version will install alongside to your existing version and won‘t conflict with it.

I have tested all the plugins and can confirm that it works perfect with the beta. As I also have the official Apple store purchase I trust that the beta will eventually appear as an update so that I can delete the beta from my iMac. Thanks for the quick fix. 

18 hours ago, Murfee said:

Thank you so much for this, confirmed all Nik Plugins open & work. Color Efex Pro even opens with the correct colours now, it was always washed out before. You are going to have a lot of very happy customers when this is released fully.

Enjoy your weekend, put your feet up ... you more than deserve it.

Second that. Viveza still shows the washed-out colors, but I can live w/ that. Thanks!!

Hi Andy. This version isn't working on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

On launch, the icon very briefly appears on the dock and then disappears again. Nothing else happens.

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini. Pretty clean install, just a few apps.

Would appreciate a resolution in the next beta.

Older software, eg Lightroom 4 and DxO Optics Pro 9 is why I'm still on 10.8.5.

Richie

FYI to Nik users on MacOSX --->   Affinity Photo Customer Beta update to v 1.7 starts out fresh. Preferences will be blank ( all of them ! ) .

That means you have to install  the Niks  back into Aff Photo manually . The Beta of 1.7.1  will not access your existing Photo version 1.6  Photoshop Plugins folder after installing . It's an all new app.

You can of course use your existing Nik plugins  from their home folder , such as the directory named " Google" if you installed the free Niks in the past two years or so. No need to uninstall and reinstall a new set of Niks , unless you want to .  But why ? They are already there...

Here is the best tutorial I have found for getting Nik  1.x   to work with Affinity Photo:

https://www.photography-raw.com/install-nik-collection-plugins-affinity-photo/

SInce you likely already have the Niks onboard in a home folder, you can ignore the first series of steps.  Go straight to the section called ' Setting up the Plugins in Affinity Photo ' .  Pay special attention to that second step   called " Add plugins folder " , where you direct your Aff Photo to go all the way to root on your system drive to enable all the Nik plugins  ( for some reason not all of the seven Nik apps work the same in the core Mac OSX system, which is why we had this ' Updating Fonts '  SNAFU in the first place ) .  This requires a very short safe  hack to allow your Mac to find and use all of the Niks.  Be sure and check the box under the left setup column titled " Allow Unknown plugins  to work ' .  For  some reason I remember having to also check ' Authorize global ' over under the righthand column at some point as well. FInally , you will be prompted to restart Affinity Photo for all this to take effect.

-----

Although the Nik apps themselves did not change, they certainly do seem to run better and faster  in Affinity 1.7  than 1.6 or 1.5  !  Even on my 2009 Mac Mini running El Capitan on a spinning hard disk ( not an SSD ) , this was quite noticeable.  We owe the Serif coders a great debt of gratitude for taking care of this nasty little Nik bug in a week. In fact, the v 1.7.1  Beta did a lot of work under the hood and improved many things.  Great job.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

- Fixed Nik v1 plugins.

My reaction to this fix: clap.gif  rock.gif  dance.gif

Also, I am happy that I saw this before I removed the path to the NIK v1 plugins from Plugin Search Folders in the 1.7.0 update. That was on my 'to do' list because I wanted to eliminate the possibility of hangs from accidentally choosing one of those plugins. I guess this is one of those times when a little procrastination is a good thing. :D

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The clipped highlight indicator still shows as a checkerboard pattern  (instead of the usual red colour) when you have "Metal" enabled. With this unticked in preferences the red colour returns.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.