You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Whats the deal with the language tab in the character pop up menu?

I had a hard time getting rid of the red spellingcheck line underneath my text,until i found out i had to set the language to "none" in the menu.

Whats the workflow for this?

Jack.

You have a choice of two workflows:

• If you want to ignore spelling mistakes until you are ready to check them all, deselect "Check Spelling While Typing" in the Edit/Spelling menu. When/if you are want to check the document, use "Check Spelling" in the same menu.
  • If you want spelling mistakes underlined in red immediately (so you can fix them as you enter the text), leave  "Check Spelling While Typing" selected.

The language in the Character pane tells Designer which language to use. Setting the language to "None" will get rid of the red underlines, but it will also make the "Check Spelling" option useless. If your text is in English, it'd be better to leave the language as English. (If/when we support auto-hyphenation, the language may effect that too.)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2014 at 11:00 AM, Dave Harris said:

You have a choice of two workflows:

• If you want to ignore spelling mistakes until you are ready to check them all, deselect "Check Spelling While Typing" in the Edit/Spelling menu. When/if you are want to check the document, use "Check Spelling" in the same menu.
  • If you want spelling mistakes underlined in red immediately (so you can fix them as you enter the text), leave  "Check Spelling While Typing" selected.

The language in the Character pane tells Designer which language to use. Setting the language to "None" will get rid of the red underlines, but it will also make the "Check Spelling" option useless. If your text is in English, it'd be better to leave the language as English. (If/when we support auto-hyphenation, the language may effect that too.)

Actually, the menu to change the spelling options is Edit > Spelling

1 hour ago, esaramago said:

Actually, the menu to change the spelling options is Edit > Spelling

At least on Macs, the Edit menu in the Affinity apps does not have any spelling options. The Text menu does, but as @Dave Harris said, setting the Character panel Language option to "None" will effectively disable the Text > Spelling options that check spelling.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

At least on Macs, the Edit menu in the Affinity apps does not have any spelling options. The Text menu does, ...

That's true on Windows, too. Text->Spelling has options. Edit->Preferences and then Tools lets you specify the location of additional dictionaries. But there are no spelling options in the Edit menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Freddie360 said:

I turned off  "Check Spelling While Typing" and when I are wanted to check the document using "Check Spelling" it checked only one word. I tried 'Spelling Options' and got one word, but was unable to make the 'Find Next' work either.

What version of Publisher are you using, on what OS?

Was the misspelled word in a text frame that was created on a document page, or was the frame inherited from a master page?

If it's in a text frame inherited from a master page, was the misspelled word also inherited from the master page, or was it entered on the document page directly?

Have you tried opening a copy of the .afpub file in the current Publisher beta, to see if the proble still happens? (I think I remember some beta fixes in that area, though I haven't gone back to the release notes to check.)

If you have checked in the beta, and the problem still exists, can you supply a sample .afpub document that demonstrates the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

OK Walt, I am sending this reply again (my browser fault?). I am sorry its taken so long to reply to this spelling issue I am having and I will not bore you with why. I am using Publisher 1.7.3 and have attached the offending file. I use the Saatchi site to key in the info when inserting a new work on their gallery site and pasting the info into Publisher afterwards.

Saatchi rationale multi 13.2.20.afpub

Edited by Freddie360
forgot attachment

On 1/22/2020 at 3:59 PM, Freddie360 said:

I tried 'Spelling Options' and got one word, but was unable to make the 'Find Next' work either.

Go to the Master Page and try Spelling options again.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Just the same, it lingers on one word with no way I can see to make it work as other programs, ie. Illustrator etc. No window appears to navigate through the page or text selection. It appears to be the same on any AP document  use.

Edited by Freddie360
addition

This is weird. I change my recipe: Go to Master Page and select a text frame, have it still selected and then open Spelling Options. If you simply go to the Master Page and start Spelling Options you will end up at a locked text frame.

spellcheck.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed