You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If I make a selection of a dress, it seems logically that I want to contain my changes to the selection.  However, if I select a dress, add Adjustment, it will not apply to the selection.  If I Invert, then I can adjust within the selection.  Is it me or just how it works?

Example:  on main image layer, I make selection of a dress.  Then I select Adjustment, HSL.  No changes will be made within the selection.  If I invert, the HSL Adjustment will be made within the selection. I know it has a simple explanation that escapes me  Thanks for guidelance.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 minute ago, Cecil said:

If I invert, the HSL Adjustment will be made within the selection.

Just to be clear, do you mean that the adjustment is applied to the dress or do you mean that it’s applied to everything except the dress?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Do you have the layer with the Dress in/on it selected?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I open image with lady wearing dress.  This is the Background Layer.  On the Background Layer I select the dress and refine.  I have her total dress now selected and add HSL Adjustment Layer.  I see her dress is still select; however, moving any sliders on the HSL layer will not change colors in the dress, it applies to Background Layer.  If I invert layer, it will change the dress only.

My thought process is that you make a selection to confined the adjustments to a specific selection.  It, as I do it, does not work.  Please understand that this is my limited understanding of AP.  Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

It's the exact opposite for me. I select an object from a background layer, add a HSL layer, and when I adjust the colour it applies directly to my selection.

This is how I understand it SHOULD work.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

5 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

It's the exact opposite for me. I select an object from a background layer, add a HSL layer, and when I adjust the colour it applies directly to my selection.

Ditto. And ditto.

And ditto!

I only get the outcome described by the OP if I ‘Select All’ and then subtract the dress (or whatever) from the selection.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Cecil said:

My thought process is that you make a selection to confined the adjustments to a specific selection.

That is exactly how it is supposed to work.

4 hours ago, Cecil said:

I select the dress and refine

What happens if you Select the dress and then do not refine but go straight to the HSL?

An aside: Hmmm,  There is something hinky going on here, I have a problem with the HSL layer with it not being able to use a different selection. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

43 minutes ago, Cecil said:

This is the screened capture, the dress selected.  same if I refine or not.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen in the first part of the movie because there are no real blue bits to be altered. But the second half when you have the yellow chosen the whole thing should change a great deal.

What does the "HSL Shift Adjustment Alpha" channel show?

This is what I have after I make a selection then add the HSL. Is yours similar?

711240607_ScreenShot2019-06-14at4_22_06PM.thumb.png.0fea379b40fa08baac0cb327da785f65.png

Another thing that concerns me is the the (HSL Shift Adjustment) layer has a large black bar across it.

It is getting late here but I will think about this and do some more research. HSL has problems but you should be getting some results not the nothing you have here nor the weirdness from your first post. We just have to figure out what causes this/these wrong or unexpected behaviours

57 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I wouldn't expect anything to happen in the first part of the movie because there are no real blue bits to be altered. But the second half when you have the yellow chosen the whole thing should change a great deal.

What does the "HSL Shift Adjustment Alpha" channel show?

This is what I have after I make a selection then add the HSL. Is yours similar?

711240607_ScreenShot2019-06-14at4_22_06PM.thumb.png.0fea379b40fa08baac0cb327da785f65.png

Another thing that concerns me is the the (HSL Shift Adjustment) layer has a large black bar across it.

It is getting late here but I will think about this and do some more research. HSL has problems but you should be getting some results not the nothing you have here nor the weirdness from your first post. We just have to figure out what causes this/these wrong or unexpected behaviours

ActuallyI rebooted and the colors changed this time.  I cannot replicate inconstancy of operations. I will post Channels, as requested. I did see video on the new 1.7 to add subsets. Title AffinityPhoto-Channels: Selections, by James Ritson.  A lot more steps, but it worked in his demonstration.

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 8.19.05 PM.png

Cecil 

17 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

This is what I expected.  Numerous attempts could not apply the color changes as expected. I did reboot and it worked.  I really did not change and selection or choose select all as it I wanted all I would not make selection.   As a test, I selected dress, Layers, Invert and nothing happened.

i rebooted macOS and selected dress and the dress colors changed.,

I will attempt to replicate tomorrow.  I did post screen capture below.  Thank you, happy it works for you.

Cecil 

Not to give up, I approached HSL adjustment today.  If I select the Master, first circle, it did indeed change the selection.  I  selected upper dress to make the process clearer.  However, after successfully getting all to work late last night, only my Master selection worked today. changing to another color circle, resulted in no change to the selection.  I'll attach image of Master color selection.

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.20.09 PM.png

Cecil