You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, pending the arrival of affinity publisher, does anyone have any ideas on how to copy/paste (or otherwise import) vectors from affinity designer into indesign? - i.e. so paths arrive as editable vectors in indesign, not just placed separate files.

I've ditched illustrator from which I used to be able to copy/paste vectors into indesign, but I've yet to find a way to achieve the same result using affinity designer...

• Staff

Hi cleay,

Welcome to the forums.

Exporting your designs from Affinity Designer will be your best option, you can export to various file formats and most are supported by InDesign. However it will be imported into InDesign as an image so editing may not be available.

Thanks

Lee

I have the same issue but for posting into fireworks. I have an older version of illustrator that requires a legacy version of Java, so I though I might as well just get Affinity for a cheaper price. I have been running the trial version and have now just purchased it. One of the simple things I used to do with Illustrator is open an SVG file and copy and paste this into Fireworks (Fireworks CS3 cant open SVG files ). The first thing I tried to do with Affinity is to do the same thing and unfortunately you can't. Furthermore, I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure I have tried this on the trial version and it did work as this was one of the things I wanted to do before I downloaded the trial version. Is it possible this has changed? Is there any way to make copying and pasting between programs possible? 

I am posting this question as part of this thread because it relates. If I dont receive an answer in a few days, I will post as a separate question.

• Staff

Hi dazkraz,

The Trial version is identical to the released Mac App Store version on purpose - to make sure you get exactly the thing you had a trial of. However, the Beta version includes a number of changes - one of which is actually to do with what data is placed on the clipboard. Perhaps try the Beta version and let us know how you get on :)

Thanks,

Matt

• 7 months later...

cleay, da stimme ich dir voll und ganz zu. Genau diese Funktion – editierbare Vektorpfade mit copy/paste in InDesign zu kopieren – vermisse ich auch am AD. Wegen dieser Funktion werde ich weiterhin Adobe Illustrator verwenden müssen. Es wäre für meine tägliche Arbeit überaus hilfreich, wenn AD um diese Möglichkeit bereichert würde.

Gruß andiroth

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The workaround I'm using is to Copy & Paste from Affinity apps into Illustrator, then copy in Illustrator again and paste into InDesign.

However, while text is intact and editable in Illustrator, is converted to something that is listed in the layers panel as "<unknown>" in InDesign. It seems to be losslessly scalable vector information, but it's not editable. Possibly some form of EPS or similar.

Since InDesign can import neither PDF nor SVG (despite having had an easter egg that advertised the latter format for a long time) this seems to be the only way to get editable vectors across as far as I'm aware.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, anybodesign said:

Hi there,

Totally agree, it would be an awesome (and at the same time legitimate) feature. But maybe the problem comes from Adobe?
I have the same problem with copy/paste from Sketch to InDesign.
What's wrong with vector copy/paste?

Dazu habe ich den Support von Adobe befragt. Die sagten mir, dass sie für diese Funktion (Copy/Paste von Pfaden bzw. Vektoren) Programme und Dateiformate anderer Anbieter keine Unterstützung anbieten können.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the copy/paste works. But you cannot edit the vector info once inside InDesign.
I also tried on real works, that were printed without problems. Affinity Designer copies the file as a vector (SVG) and the pasted item/graphic in InDesign stays as vector elements.

Look at my screenshots:

2020-04-05_Affinity_Designer4.png

2020-04-05_Affinity_Designer1.png

2020-04-05_InDesign1.png

2020-04-05_InDesign2.png

2020-04-05_InDesign3_preview_HQ.png

You can try to check the quality with exporting the InDesign document into a pdf file and than opening it in Affinity Designer.

2020-04-05_InDesign4_export_pdf.png

2020-04-05_Affinity_Designer2.png

2020-04-05_Affinity_Designer3.png

However don't forget, to check the option copy as SVG in preferences!

AF_Preferences.png