You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to get old versions of Designer and Photo and have them at the same time as new versions?

New version re-written blend modes produce glitchy results in a lot of situations for me. Didn't experience this in the previous version. The new version seems to have replaced the old version on my computer. Is there a way I can get the old version and is it possible to have both versions on the same machine simultaneously?

7 hours ago, qendl said:

Is there a way I can get the old version and is it possible to have both versions on the same machine simultaneously?

The answers (plural) to these two questions can be complicated & vary depending on several related things:

• If you are a Mac or Windows user
  • The store you bought the apps from
  • If you have backups & what kind they are
  • If you want to run old & new versions at the same time
  • If you do not mind 1.7 version documents not being openable in 1.6 versions
  • If you do not mind some UI layout & other options being shared & possibly interfering with each other

If you include as much of the above info as possible in a new reply, someone may be able to help you get what you want, or part of it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm on mac so I had to get the apps on the app store. Might have a backup of the old version in my backup drive. The new version replaced the old version without alerting me when I installed it, so I don't know if it's possible for both apps to be on the same machine at once. I don't mind if any of my new documents aren't openable, I just want a version of the app that doesn't have the huge, app breaking bugs that 1.7 has.

Just FYI, Mac users now have a choice of buying through the Mac App Store ("MAS") or the Affinity Store, which is why knowing which one you used is relevant.

Assuming you bought through the MAS, if you have a backup of both the old version and the per user Library folder (not the top level Library folder), for example Time Machine backups, you can restore the app & the relevant Library sub-folder containing the old settings along side the new versions in the same locations. But this is tricky to get right & there are several issues resulting from user Library items being shared by both versions to consider, which may not have practical solutions.

Even if you get all this right, you won't be able to run both apps at the same time, or copy & paste most items from one to the other, or perhaps encounter other issues or limitations. It is all dependent on 'at your own risk' hacks with no official support.

If you just want to keep using the 1.6 versions & don't care about using the 1.7 versions until the big bugs are sorted out, it may be considerably simpler to just restore the old app & the relevant Library sub-folders, overwriting the 1.7 stuff, but if you don't also have backups of any documents you created or edited in 1.7, you won't be able to access them without updating to 1.7.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7