You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making parts of vector image transparent with pixels

Hi, I once made it that I could use a pixel brush to draw over areas of a specific color of a vector image that became transparent.

But I can't remember how I did it? It's a very cool feature where a mask is created automatically. Can anyone enlighten me how to do it?

• Staff

Hi robert_muench,

Hopefully this is what you are wanting to do.

With your image placed on the document, switch to the Pixel Persona and click the Selection Brush Tool (W). Brush over your image to select the areas, now switch to the Erase Brush Tool (E) change the brush width if needed, make sure the correct layer is highlighted and begin to brush over the selected areas, the Mask is automatically created.

Another way is to switch to the Pixel Persona, highlight your layer click Select > Select Sampled Colour. Now click to select the colour of your image, edit the Tolerance if needed, click Apply. Now switch to the Erase Brush Tool (E) and brush over the selected areas.

Thanks

Lee

• Staff

Hi robert_muench,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The methods Lee D described will work for images. 

For vector objects, select the object you want to make partially transparent, change to Pixel Persona, select the Eraser Brush tool, adjust the opacity and hardness as needed in the context toolbar and brush over the vector object (the mask will be automatically created for you). This is probably what you have done.