You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.1.1. Support for Publisher multi-page documents

DM1

Hi Sean,

Hope things are well. Updated to the latest Designer beta. Opened my 8-page Publisher document in Designer beta, and the canvas only shows the 2-page spread that was visible when saved in Publisher. Let me know if I’m missing anything...

96FD982E-CE07-43FB-BBCE-ECF69E315A8C.thumb.png.ca6421f9a296b3e66954ef67504203fc.png

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo (iPadOS 14 beta, iPad Pro 12.9” - 3rd Gen)

On Windows and Mac there's a little page navigator that lets you move forward or back, or specify a specific page number. We don't get to directly view all the spreads at once (no Pages panel like Publisher has).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Updated to the latest Designer beta. Opened my 8-page Publisher document in Designer beta, and the canvas only shows the 2-page spread that was visible when saved in Publisher. Let me know if I’m missing anything...

I don’t think you’re missing anything! I see the same here, in both AD 1.7.0.4 and AD 1.7.1.1.

Edit: I’ve just found the answer. You need to go to the Document menu and choose ‘Pages’ to display the control for navigating to the other pages/spreads in the document. (For some strange reason, the control on the Context toolbar is labelled ‘Spread’ rather than ‘Pages’.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

You need to go to the Document menu and choose ‘Pages’ to display the control for navigating to the other pages/spreads in the document. 

Is this only visible when opening a publisher file?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think you’re missing anything! I see the same here, in both AD 1.7.0.4 and AD 1.7.1.1.

Edit: I’ve just found the answer. You need to go to the Document menu and choose ‘Pages’ to display the control for navigating to the other pages/spreads in the document. (For some strange reason, the control on the Context toolbar is labelled ‘Spread’ rather than ‘Pages’.)

Thanks for that! I throught the Document menu was static haha.

Quick one Serif, thanks for including the Pages option. As it is not always available, such as when using other tools, can imagine people finding it laborious like I have, if aware of the option. How about including an optional pages thumbnail view that is always available when tapped and/or swiped in from the side, similar to Apple Pages? That said, this won’t matter when Publisher comes to iPadOS.

3 hours ago, DM1 said:

Is this only visible when opening a publisher file?

Yes. As @SageBlue has indicated, the Document menu is dynamic.

Alfred spacer.png

22 hours ago, marcoborghesi said:

Are we saying that this is the step to see Affinity Publisher sooner than expected on iPad? Maybe an extra announcement tomorrow at the LIVE event?

No idea. When I read there’s going to be a surprise announcement, like a public beta, can only hope :6_smile:

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2019 at 9:20 PM, walt.farrell said:

On Windows and Mac there's a little page navigator that lets you move forward or back, or specify a specific page number. We don't get to directly view all the spreads at once (no Pages panel like Publisher has).

Where can I find this little page navigator? I don't see neither page navigator nor Document menu on the top :/ And I am a little bit confused because now the only way to open multi page document in AD is to place document. Then I see page navigator so I can double click on placed document to edit its content.

1 hour ago, kaenes said:

Where can I find this little page navigator? I don't see neither page navigator nor Document menu on the top :/ And I am a little bit confused because now the only way to open multi page document in AD is to place document. Then I see page navigator so I can double click on placed document to edit its content.

I don't know where the page navigator is on iPad, but  my understanding is that there is one now when you Open (not Place) a multi-page .afpub file.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't know where the page navigator is on iPad

It’s on the Context toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

7EEE74BC-6A35-4B4A-8060-C9E7308ADF0E.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, kaenes said:

I did ask about desktop version.

You posted to a thread in the ‘Designer Beta on iPad’ forum, so it wasn’t obvious that you were asking about the desktop version.

2 minutes ago, kaenes said:

But probably there is no similar functionality on desktop (win) version :/

There certainly is, but since I’m on my iPad I’ll leave to someone else to show you how to use it on a Windows PC.

Alfred spacer.png

58 minutes ago, kaenes said:

But probably there is no similar functionality on desktop (win) version

Certainly there is. Down on the lower-left side of your Designer window, next to the Status bar:

image.png.81e50ff474ae00b7f87f83f32717be3e.png

It will only be present when you have a multi-page .afpub document opened, though.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2019 at 5:50 AM, walt.farrell said:

Certainly there is. Down on the lower-left side of your Designer window, next to the Status bar:

image.png.81e50ff474ae00b7f87f83f32717be3e.png

It will only be present when you have a multi-page .afpub document opened, though.

Brilliant!  IT took me forever to find this.. next question... Can you put all these "pages" on one screen? So I don't have to flip through them?

14 minutes ago, Julie B said:

Brilliant!  IT took me forever to find this.. next question... Can you put all these "pages" on one screen? So I don't have to flip through them?

In Designer, no. There you should work with Artboards.

For working with Pages conveniently you need to work in Publisher, and you could then use the Pages panel as a reference. Or if you were to zoom out you could have multiple pages visible in the workspace, but they would be too small to work on.

(But note that this is an iPad topic, and I am answering for the desktop versions, which the topic drifted into a few posts back.)

-- Walt
PC: