You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stock photo drag and drop not working

I recall from some other thread that you can't open a stock photo as a new document by dragging the file from that panel. Oddly enough, you can drag and create a new file by opening your internet browser and drag whatever image you want into both an already existing file and as a new document file, which is at least a workaround. However, the panel should be changed to do the same, I agree.

• Staff

Frozen Death Knight is correct. I picked up on this when it was first introduce and I recall putting a few improvement suggestions forward. It would be nice to be able to start a new document by dragging in an image from the Stock Panel. I'll try and update you if I get any news on this :) 

Quick work around. Set up a keyboard shortcut for "clip to canvas" (I use Ctrl+Shift+K). Then, when you want to open a stock photo, hit Ctrl+n for a new document (doesn't matter what size), drag the picture you want onto it, hit the "Clip to canvas" shortcut, and it resizes to the picture. It might sound a lot of trouble, but, once it's set up, it's really quick.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 6/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, Al S said:

Interesting, I watched this and I don't see anything different from drag and drop. That's why I thought it wasn't working properly. Maybe I missed something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyB7IpJYJa0

I have identical results. Drag and drop does not work, unless I create a new document first.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

In that tutorial, he had a document open, which showed the title of the tutorial video. He dragged onto it from the stock studio, giving a new layer that covered his old document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In that tutorial, he had a document open, which showed the title of the tutorial video. He dragged onto it from the stock studio, giving a new layer that covered his old document.

Thank you.  Head between my legs.  A simple observation of his layers, clearly populated, unwarranted post, on my part.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.