You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo iPad - extreme lag time after 1.7 update

Pffff.... glad to read that more people have issues with AP. I’m working at the iPad Pro with AP 1.7.0135 and I’m very pleased with this programm but today is was a desaster. I wasn’t able to upload my work to the Cloud, the upload wheel kept turning and the only thing I could do was to close AP. After restarting AP I lost the changes I made. After a few try outs at last the file was in the Cloud. At resizing an item the layer freezes while the rectangle is at the new place but the resized item is still at the old place.

Hope you understand what I’m trying to say. I’m sure AP will fix this and than I’m happy  again with this wonderful programm. Thank you!

iMac 27", iPad Pro 12,9", Apple Pencil.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
32 minutes ago, Bob185 said:

Ever since the update, everything slower. More lag. More crashes. 

In 1.7.2.153? There was an issue where we were accidentally capping you at 50% memory usage.

Could you please give me an example of what is running slow so I can investigate it and compare to previous builds? Since 1.7.2 I've personally found the app is as responsive and stable before the initial 1.7 update so I would hate to miss something that you and our other users are experiencing :( 

Can you clarify if you are you using the iPadOS beta? 

Chris B

I am still using iOS 12.4

iPad Pro (3rd gen) 1T 6GB

Everything that I used to do is now almost impossible to do. When the update was released (1.7) it wasn't good, then the betas seem to improve things greatly but as more betas were released it seemed to move things backward. It is hard to believe that the GM released for download on the MAS is the same as the beta released that as a beta.   The last Beta GM was responsive and stable but what happened between that and the MAS release. It's like a totally different app.

15 hours ago, Chris B said:

The lag in the iPad version of the app should have been fixed in the 1.7.2 update as it looks like we were accidentally limiting the memory usage. Could you please confirm if this has improved in 1.7.2?

It seems better but only a little. I’ve been happily using 1.7.2 since it came out for small adjustments but tonight when i tried to do a composite image with two high res files it started crawling again. Started wheni was using the move tool and adjusting opacity and such on the new layer after I pasted it in. 4000x6000 on a 3000x4000 both with quite a few edits. Still, wouldnt have been a problem on 1.6. Ugh. At least i was able to back out, save, and reset the app. ios 12.4 1TB 2018 pro. Considering reinstalling the app but i hate to give up all my settings and adjustment layers i like to copy/paste. Still frustrated. Its not all fixed. Give me 1.6 back.

I am also finding that 1.7.2.153 is very laggy, I am trying to edit portrait raw file from canon 5dmk2 and when using iPad Pro 2016 9.7 on ios 12.4. My lag is while trying to use brush controls after having more than a couple of layers in play. Using any live filter like frequency separation just kills the work flow waiting sometimes 4-7 seconds for the stroke register, i have tried using Apple Pencil and by finger. Trying to use Macro studio is also painfully slow to apply just a 9 layer action and is then uneditable. Also I have noticed that the blue highlight has disappeared when you select a layer mask, so impossible to know if it’s selected to make your adjustments.

Edited by Inocentpredator
Addition from use of programe

I've said this in the Beta forum but no responses there, so I'll try my luck here as it still applies:-

•  

Photo still cannot cope with transformations of groups, though I'm wondering whether its just shrinking the groups which causes issues (particularly shrinking smaller than their original size?)

In these videos one shows that no issues occur when simply enlarging the groups, however there is significant lag when one attempts to shrink the groups (these are unadjusted sample pictures pixel dimensions 2560x1440) Please note when it appears I am touching the screen for an extended period of time, I am not, the app is just having a think:-

This is with the latest Photo release 1.7.2.153 on a 1TB iPad

• Staff
12 hours ago, Inocentpredator said:

Chris B, any update on these problems at the moment???

Hi Inocentpredator,

Yes I had a go with the same file that frankthechicken was using in the above recording and I too ran into the same pauses/delays as seen in the said recording. I cannot test this in 1.6 as we cannot open 1.7 files in 1.6 versions of the app so I found some other complex files that I could open in 1.6 but I didn't really notice any real performance issues. Opening the same file in 1.7 that was working well in 1.6 seemed to work well too.

I really think we need some 1.6 files that perform poorly in 1.7 but we need to make sure those files are not saved in 1.7 so we can use a copy to always refer back to in 1.6. 

24 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hi Inocentpredator,

Yes I had a go with the same file that frankthechicken was using in the above recording and I too ran into the same pauses/delays as seen in the said recording. I cannot test this in 1.6 as we cannot open 1.7 files in 1.6 versions of the app so I found some other complex files that I could open in 1.6 but I didn't really notice any real performance issues. Opening the same file in 1.7 that was working well in 1.6 seemed to work well too.

I really think we need some 1.6 files that perform poorly in 1.7 but we need to make sure those files are not saved in 1.7 so we can use a copy to always refer back to in 1.6. 

It doesn't need to be a complex image, though it may need a few more operations.

The following video is a new document at the default size.  I will draw on one layer, and perform a few operations on and the app will grind to a halt.

The more complex the document the less operations needed to break the app, however it is still very demonstrable on  simple doc.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi Inocentpredator,

Hi Chris B

I have attached the RAW file I’m working with for you to have ago with. I am using healing brush, patch tool and inpainting brush on a duplicated layer to do some basic healing. I am then creating a new pixel layer and then merging visible to this layer, I am then using frequency separation filter and then using the healing brush to even out skin tone. I can’t even use the brush tool to even out the skin as it won’t let me brush and copy the area I want to correct without extreme lag, I get no red mask to show where i have brushed and takes so long to apply I don’t even know if it’s happened for around 10seconds! and it gets worse after each brush stroke. 

Hope that helps

IMG_0067.CR2

On 8/22/2019 at 11:36 AM, p_mac said:

It is hard to believe that the GM released for download on the MAS is the same as the beta released that as a beta.   The last Beta GM was responsive and stable but what happened between that and the MAS release. It's like a totally different app.

Hi p_mac do you still have the beta installed?  I left mine installed but haven’t noticed any significant difference. I suspect some of the issues experienced with 1.7  may be due to the newer iPad technology as mine is the older 10.5. I read somewhere that ram is managed differently in the newer models. We may need to start a petition to bring back 1.6 :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
15 hours ago, Inocentpredator said:

Hi Chris B

I have attached the RAW file I’m working with for you to have ago with. I am using healing brush, patch tool and inpainting brush on a duplicated layer to do some basic healing. I am then creating a new pixel layer and then merging visible to this layer, I am then using frequency separation filter and then using the healing brush to even out skin tone. I can’t even use the brush tool to even out the skin as it won’t let me brush and copy the area I want to correct without extreme lag, I get no red mask to show where i have brushed and takes so long to apply I don’t even know if it’s happened for around 10seconds! and it gets worse after each brush stroke. 

Hope that helps

IMG_0067.CR2

I followed what you said but it worked fine. However, I was able to reproduce what frankthechicken showed us in the video which is more surprising as all I was doing was moving a few pixels around. I tried it on an older iPad that we've kept back on 1.6 and didn't experience it. I will let dev know. Thanks for contributing everyone. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

However, I was able to reproduce what frankthechicken showed us in the video which is more surprising as all I was doing was moving a few pixels around. 

I had the same result as frankthechicken too.  :o

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

16 hours ago, DM1 said:

Hi p_mac do you still have the beta installed?  I left mine installed but haven’t noticed any significant difference. I suspect some of the issues experienced with 1.7  may be due to the newer iPad technology as mine is the older 10.5. I read somewhere that ram is managed differently in the newer models. We may need to start a petition to bring back 1.6 :D

The beta is still in TestFlight to install, but at this point, I’m kind of done with this software.   

I don’t believe this has anything to do with the architecture of the iPad Pro, and everything to do with the software.  

There was that glitch with the scribble test that they ‘fixed’ as they believed that the memory was not being released properly.  

There was also a reasoning by one of the mods that with the size of the files that AP gets overwhelmed and crashes, but I have had a CPU app monitoring that and there is no indication that is happening.   

I’ve also detailed process carefully that has been ignored, snarky comments from one mod, crash reports sent.  

There is a serious glitch here and it could be a matter of flipping a switch or a major cause for rewrite.

Anyway, this app was awesome prior to 1.7, with this iPad Pro (3rd gen) and now it will only do mundane tasks.  Not a good selling point for the software.

So sad as I truly believed in this company, recommended it to everyone.  

5 hours ago, p_mac said:

There is a serious glitch here and it could be a matter of flipping a switch or a major cause for rewrite.

Yes, I think frankthechickens example shows that clearly. 

I think that if they are only depending on the scribble tests then I am losing all faith.  There is a bigger issue here because I am looking at Panorama, HDR Merge, Stacks all the things that this app was able to do.  I think to continue to only look at this silly test that initially created a situation where they flipped a switch to allow more memory on this particular issue may have increased the problem.  Today for some reason I thought that I would test again a panorama, one that I easily stitched 6 - 43mp images with one of the very first 1.7 betas, rendered, edited in the pano mode, developed, added all kinds of filters that, may have taken 3/4 an hour.  Today I used 5 of those images, and after 1 hour and 5 minutes it crashed.  I was only able to do the follow; stitch, render 1/2 hour, and attempt twice to clean up an area in the render screen (didn't work) 1/2 hour and then for another 5 minutes to tried to complete the render by saying OK thinking I could do a save and CRASH, 1 hour 5 minutes gone.

The rendering of the images was awesome but it was impossible to work on.

The processing is really good for the functions but the time is painful and then when you get the completion you can't work on it.

So is this a cache problem? Just gets so full it can't function.   

Is it a link to the touch of the actual screen of the iPad and the software, because once you get a process completed it's awesome.  

Masking a filter can be painful but can work well in another application.  

The issues are not random.

I needed to be at home today so I had time to waste and wasted it was.

I was asked today to upload some images to Dropbox today and because I refuse to use Dropbox and I was required to sign in I noticed that it didn't seem to be a share link at all so hopefully the mod see this and sends me the link where I don't need to sign in to Dropbox.

As I said I'm kind of done   I'll just use Capture One 12 until they get this fixed, but since I depend on creating panos, merges, et al this will be a very limiting time.   

Edited by p_mac
Grammer