You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Beta 1.7.0.384] Font in exported PDF

After updating to the new version, when I export the pdf file, the EB Garamond font renders as a total mess. The font is rendered correctly in the application itself (as well as other applications). Only regular style has this problem, bold, italic, medium render right. The issue is persistent both in the old files and the new ones. Reinstalling the font from the Google Fonts didn't solve it. I have not encountered that problem with other fonts yet. It appeared immediately after updating to the version 384.

View in APubView in Acrobat Reader

bug_test.afpub

bug_test.pdf

No problem on my side, see image. Maybe a damaged font installation? Try to uninstall the font and install anew.

Edit: What where your exact export options? Screenshots would be nice, since my file is significantly bigger than yours.

font-ebgaramond.jpg

Edited by Joachim_L
Question added

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I have EB Garamond installed, so the original file opens correctly in the iPad version of Affinity Designer. When I export using either ‘PDF (for export)’ or ‘PDF (for print)’, the text is converted to curves.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Very strange. Used the same export setting. No problem again, text as text, but my file has 1.778.714 bytes compared to Evgenii's 406.116 bytes. Opening Evgenii's PDF in Illustrator or ADesigner shows the strange characters. O.o

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Where did your original EB Garamond fonts come from?
The originals from GitHub (octaviopardo) and the ones from GoogleFonts are different.
If you installed the ones from GoogleFonts over the old ones the font cache(s) could be a mess.
Actually in the ones from GoogleFonts the way the fonts are named is really odd.
It is not one Typographic Family, it is four.
I have never seen anything from GoogleFonts named like this.
Keep in mind that GoogleFonts is not geared towards desktop use.

Also the ones from GitHub are available in both OTF and TTF.
The ones from GoogleFonts are only TTF.
So if you installed those over the OTF versions ... font cache(s) could be a mess.

I have been meaning to fix these fonts (from GitHub) to work properly in LibreOffice.
They then should also work properly in APub.
That would probably fix your issues here.
If you're interested.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.