PatrickOfLondon

Feather effect (around placed photos, graphics, etc)

Hi,

Apologies if this question is answered elsewhere, I haven't found it though.

In Serif PagePlus X9 there is a "feather" effect that can be applied to pictures. I can't see any way to do the same thing in Affinity Publisher Beta. Is there any way of doing it?

A picture is worth a thousand words, so hopefully the one attached will show what I mean.

Feather effect.jpg

I suppose this function is not there in Publisher 1.0 (1.7)...

Was’nt this the problem with PPX9, too many bloated functions?

For now you have to manually fix this feather (use your imagination)...

After 19th June we Probably easily can do this in combination with Affinity Photo or Designer-personas (if you bought one of them)...

I have found one way to do this -- or at least, to achieve something visually similar -- directly from within Affinity Publisher Beta (1.7.0.384).

Referring to the attached illustration,

1 -- select the image you want to "feather"

2 -- right-click on the image, then choose Layer Effects

3 -- choose Inner Glow

4 -- experiment with the options, like Radius, Intensity, and Colour (here: white)

Note that the Radius value, by using the slider, can only be taken to 100 px.

But if you hover over the value-box beside the slider, and roll the mouse-wheel, you can change the value to anything between 0 px and 1024 px.

Rolling the mouse wheel changes the value in increments of 1 px. Holding Shift, while rolling, steps in increments of 10 px; holding Ctrl while rolling steps in increments of 0.1 px.

Feather effect in Affinity Publisher Beta - a method.jpg

On 6/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, PatrickOfLondon said:

I have found one way to do this -- or at least, to achieve something visually similar -- directly from within Affinity Publisher Beta (1.7.0.384).

Referring to the attached illustration,

1 -- select the image you want to "feather"

2 -- right-click on the image, then choose Layer Effects

3 -- choose Inner Glow

4 -- experiment with the options, like Radius, Intensity, and Colour (here: white)

Note that the Radius value, by using the slider, can only be taken to 100 px.

But if you hover over the value-box beside the slider, and roll the mouse-wheel, you can change the value to anything between 0 px and 1024 px.

Rolling the mouse wheel changes the value in increments of 1 px. Holding Shift, while rolling, steps in increments of 10 px; holding Ctrl while rolling steps in increments of 0.1 px.

Feather effect in Affinity Publisher Beta - a method.jpg

But, the glow compares to feather is’nt transparent...

It may not concern if you have a clean white background, but if you wants to feather pictures and frames above other graphics it may not lokks good...

Feathering is easy. Select the picture. Then select the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle slightly inside the picture and keep the rectangle selected. Use the layers panel and Mask to below. With the rectangle selected use layer effect (I think), Gaussian blur, move the slider. You can adjust the rectangle size and position and blur to get what you want. I can't remember if the blur is transparent.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

I can't remember if the blur is transparent.

The blur is transparent :)

Nice trick. I had forgotten about that one.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.475)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, MickRose said:

Feathering is easy. Select the picture. Then select the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle slightly inside the picture and keep the rectangle selected. Use the layers panel and Mask to below. With the rectangle selected use layer effect (I think), Gaussian blur, move the slider. You can adjust the rectangle size and position and blur to get what you want. I can't remember if the blur is transparent.

Thanks to all for comments and contributions, and to MickRose for a solution.

If this could possibly, in a future release, become a one-click "feather" operation, that would be nice..... :12_slight_smile: