Hi, i am interested in buying the new 1.7 version. As far as i understood what the forums say, i can update to 1.8, 1.9 for free but not to the 2.0. I am new, so I don't know if there are a limit of updates or there is a sequence or something. For example, if I start with the 1.9, i'll get the major release which is the 2.0 and up to 4 minor releases (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4), 5 updates in total. So my questions are: How long does a minor update take to release? Is there any limit of how many updates I can receive? What will happen until 1.9 if I start with 1.7?

Hi Eloy,

Welcome to the Affinity forum, I will try my best to simplify this.

There is no limit to the number of updates that anyone would receive.

Any purchase from our site prior to us releasing 2.0 will receive all future 1.x updates for free, so in essence the sooner someone gets one of our apps, the more updates they will receive.

If you bought at 1.9 then you would get any 1.9.x updates free, before 2.0 was launched.

In summary, get any 1.x version and get all 1.x updates that follow. Version 2 is a new purchase for everyone with all 2.x updates included.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:57 AM, StevenS said:

In summary, get any 1.x version and get all 1.x updates that follow. Version 2 is a new purchase for everyone with all 2.x updates included.

I'm currently using 1.6.1, but can't seem to update to 1.7 without purchasing it. The software is so affordable, I don't mind buying updates every once in a while. But if this is a 1.x update, shouldn't it be a free update?

Ignore my question. I just figured out the problem. I'm a relatively new Mac user and forgot that my updates are through the App Store and not through my affinity account.:$

@StevenS thanks for your reply. I don't fully understand your line

"Version 2 is a new purchase for everyone with all 2.x updates included."

Does this mean it will be a complete new purchase with maybe a new price or could there be special updating price for existing Affinity users? :12_slight_smile:

Greenmoon,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

32 minutes ago, greenmoon said:

Does this mean it will be a complete new purchase with maybe a new price or could there be special updating price for existing Affinity users? 

Serif have not said much about the pricing of the next version (afaik), and nothing wrt upgrades, so an assumption there would not be special pricing would be safest.

To all readers,

In relation to the original question I would point out that we are not working to a decimal system in that 1.8 and 1.9 do not automatically lead to 2.0 next. There is nothing really to say if we will go from 1.8 straight to 2.0 or equally we could go (for example) from 1.7 to 1.8 to 1.9 to 1.10 to 1.11 before 2.0.

Only buy 1.7 if it does what you want (and you like the company), everything else is a bonus. Version 2 will not be free and will come when our team decides it is time and then 2.1 and 2.2 etc will be free updates to owners of 2.0.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform