You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will be a free update from 1.9 to 2.0?

On 11/3/2020 at 7:36 AM, AITCH said:

If I'd known this I'd never have bought the suite. New versions are updates of older one's or am I missing something here?
Can't say I'm impressed with Serif and the prospect at having to pay again, it's not going to go down well with many users in the current climate.

I think It is fair that you have to pay for something new, and a NEW version deserve a payment. They are doing an excellent work with this software and for a very low price they are giving you a great product!

As long as they don't do like the other company, and they always sell with perpetual licence for me It is fair.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand the problem here.

We have a feature roadmap for version 1. All updates for these features will be free. What ever version you have purchased will receive all the feature promised.

Version 2 has not even been discussed so we have no clue what version 2 is going to look like or what features it will have. When it rolls around and we get it presented to us, I'm sure it will be worth every cent. If it isn't, continue using the version you currently have (which you own for ever).

Hello,

I´m not a native English speaker so sorry for any spell-errors. 

We have also looked into the whole Affinity Suite and are very impressed of it. I mean non-Discount you pay 150,- € for a worthy Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign Program. This is WITHOUT any Subscription. Let´s assume Affinity releases a new Major Version every year. WHEN you need the new Features it will cost you at max 150,- € per Year (or 12,5 € per month). When deals like Black Friday and others come you pay as low as 60,- € for the 3 Programs together...

Lets look at Adobe: Photoshop + Illustrator + InDesign will cost you as a Single Version EACH 23,19 € per MONTH. Ok there is the Full Suite that "only" costs 57,99 € per Month. That means you will always get the newest Updates for "free" but you pay 695,88 € per Year in order to use these Programs. If you stop paying you can´t use them anymore. 

So Affinity costs at max with 1 Major release every year 150,- € and if I don´t want / need it, I can still use your purchased Software. Adobe costs me 695,88 € per Year and if I stop paying I can´t use any Program.

I mean this is the worst case and I assume that "Upgrade" Packages will be cheaper when there is a new Major Version. 

Let´s Assume you Purchased Affinity in 2015 (Windows Release). That means to this day: 150,- € for all 3 Programs from Affinity -> Free Updates. If you used Adobe on the other hand you had payed 3.479,40 € for the 5 Years... Let that settle in. 

Good Software is worth the Money and 150,- € NON-DISCOUNT for those 3 are really worth it. I mean with the last Discount they were 21,- € each... That costs as much as a Trip to the Cinema 🤣

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 8:04 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Greenmoon,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Serif have not said much about the pricing of the next version (afaik), and nothing wrt upgrades, so an assumption there would not be special pricing would be safest.

To all readers,

In relation to the original question I would point out that we are not working to a decimal system in that 1.8 and 1.9 do not automatically lead to 2.0 next. There is nothing really to say if we will go from 1.8 straight to 2.0 or equally we could go (for example) from 1.7 to 1.8 to 1.9 to 1.10 to 1.11 before 2.0.

Only buy 1.7 if it does what you want (and you like the company), everything else is a bonus. Version 2 will not be free and will come when our team decides it is time and then 2.1 and 2.2 etc will be free updates to owners of 2.0.

Patrick,

Thank you (and all the others who responded) for your reply(s) and insight.   I was a Serif customer for many years, way before Affinity, back in the early days of the *-plus series version 3s and before. Serif always treated us right back then, so, see no reason tp stop trusting them (you) now.  I expect I'll go ahead and buy the other affinity products "just because”.  I did love Page/ Draw/Photo/3D/Impact/Album/etc, - Plus programs, but, now that I’ve switched to Mac and no longer have access to  them. I'm glad to be able to get back to the Affinity products & the Serif company! 

Glad to see you’re still at Serif,

Chuck

Edited by brotman
fixed 1 typo

• 2 months later...

Not sure what you mean to achieve here, its not like you saying that you refuse to buy a upgrade means anything. As these are not subscriptions, there is ZERO incentive to provide free upgrades as the software has already been bought. Personally, I bought my affinity products for 75$ total last month and even if a new paid version comes out tomorrow I will buy it to support development of this amazing, dirt cheap software.

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, magbender.studio said:

Artrage is giving 40% discount fo upgrade.

???

image.png.f6b6fe903ecbbcf9d7fed64dbc8d15df.png

image.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hi all,

I understand the issue here, as I purchased a V1 product in 2018, where I was told by the advertising, that the licence was a perpetual one - ie. that means forever.

NOWHERE did it state that there would be a need to pay for a V2, V3 etc., and saying that updates are free, and upgrades are to be paid for because everyone knows that, is wrong.  There is no "standard" definition.  Not all software companies charge for upgrades.  It doesn't matter how much the software is, or how complex it is, or anything else come to that, it was wholly Serifs decision to price their software as they did.

I am seriously dissapointed in Serif's misleading advertising, as they knew what they were saying, and made sure it sounded better than it actually was to increase their sales.

Also disdsapointed that they couldn't even offer old users a discount to soften the blow a bit.

Shame on you Serif.

45 minutes ago, FishMan said:

I purchased a V1 product in 2018 ...

NOWHERE did it state that there would be a need to pay for a V2, V3 etc.

I purchased Affinity in 2016, and it is clear from the very beginning, and it has always been presented by Serif, that all updates to version 1.x are free, but upgrading to version 2.x will be paid.

48 minutes ago, FishMan said:

that the licence was a perpetual one

Yes, the version 1.x license you purchased is perpetual. Its functionality is not limited by the release of version 2.x, which you may or may not have to purchase. But the fact that the license is permanent does not say anything at all about whether the given product will be permanently (ie forever) updated and upgraded.

If you have a purchase agreement or license agreement that says otherwise, please present it here.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
15 minutes ago, JimB1j said:

. I'd just like to know for sure whether I need to buy Photo v.2 (with a 40% discount) or whether there will be a separate upgrade path.

There is no "upgrade path" that we can reliably offer, so we are giving everybody this launch upgrade price.

To all here.

40% off as cheap as we can make it. If there were a way we could do an upgrade offer to previous owners that would be 100% fair and miss nobody out (and not break the rules of the Apple Store and the Mac App Store) it would still not be cheaper than 40% off for upgraders. In fact it would just be LESS reduced for non-upgraders, so this 40% is the upgrade price. Please don't be jealous that others who have never had our software are being offered your special price of 40% off, just be pleased for them and you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

58 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

There is no "upgrade path" that we can reliably offer, so we are giving everybody this launch upgrade price.

To all here.

40% off as cheap as we can make it. If there were a way we could do an upgrade offer to previous owners that would be 100% fair and miss nobody out (and not break the rules of the Apple Store and the Mac App Store) it would still not be cheaper than 40% off for upgraders. In fact it would just be LESS reduced for non-upgraders, so this 40% is the upgrade price. Please don't be jealous that others who have never had our software are being offered your special price of 40% off, just be pleased for them and you.

If you continue to provide bug fixes for V1, to cover several hundred pounds wirth of purchases I've made then fine, I can live without new features. If not, and my products stop working with OS updates, then you've effectively introduced a subscription system and I'll have to pay another £90 to keep them working.

3 hours ago, monzo said:

If you continue to provide bug fixes for V1

Screenshot_2022-11-09-23-34-11.thumb.png.cda6997e86599ca484a73e5fa5d67897.png

10 hours ago, FishMan said:

Hi all,

I understand the issue here, as I purchased a V1 product in 2018, where I was told by the advertising, that the licence was a perpetual one - ie. that means forever.

NOWHERE did it state that there would be a need to pay for a V2, V3 etc., and saying that updates are free, and upgrades are to be paid for because everyone knows that, is wrong.  There is no "standard" definition.  Not all software companies charge for upgrades.  It doesn't matter how much the software is, or how complex it is, or anything else come to that, it was wholly Serifs decision to price their software as they did.

I am seriously dissapointed in Serif's misleading advertising, as they knew what they were saying, and made sure it sounded better than it actually was to increase their sales.

Also disdsapointed that they couldn't even offer old users a discount to soften the blow a bit.

Shame on you Serif.

Finally someone hit the nail on the head. I agree with you. I also fell into this trap, when moving from Adobe to Affinity I was under the assumption it was advertised as purchase once and use and get updated forever. If Affinity knew for a fact, which they would of that UPGRADES are not classified as UPDATES, then it should have been made very clear of this fact at the time of purchase. It is misleading and fails to give CLARITY.

Tactics like these will only lead to a bad reputation for the company the way I see it. I am not saying I do not want to pay for the upgrade, I probabaly will, but not without a bad taste in my mouth I never had before.

Just saying...

Most likely, since around 2020, there's info related to it in tech specs. I also saw it when I bought the app.

"For a single, one-off price you will own the current version (v1) of the app (on your chosen operating system). It’s yours to keep and you’ll even receive free updates of the software until version 2 becomes available (no planned date currently). You can then simply continue using the version you have or choose to upgrade to version 2 for an additional cost."

7 hours ago, bayustudio said:

Most likely, since around 2020, there's info related to it in tech specs. I also saw it when I bought the app.

"For a single, one-off price you will own the current version (v1) of the app (on your chosen operating system). It’s yours to keep and you’ll even receive free updates of the software until version 2 becomes available (no planned date currently). You can then simply continue using the version you have or choose to upgrade to version 2 for an additional cost."

The problem there, is the "you can then simply continue using the version you have" bit. Because at some point, you can't, it'll no longer be compatible, or secure with whatever operating system it's based on. That could be in five years time, or tomorrow. Impossible to predict, and so without basic updates to keep it working and secure, existing customers will have to either pay for an upgrade or remove the software from their devices.

So I now have 7 pieces of software I paid a "one-off price" for, that are no longer supported, and I need to pay another "one-off price" for the next version to ensure they keep working. Until the next "one-off price" for V3. And as an existing customer I get to pay exactly the same as a new one, no extra customer loyalty rewards for me.

3 minutes ago, monzo said:

The problem there, is the "you can then simply continue using the version you have" bit. Because at some point, you can't, it'll no longer be compatible, or secure with whatever operating system it's based on. That could be in five years time, or tomorrow. Impossible to predict, and so without basic updates to keep it working and secure, existing customers will have to either pay for an upgrade or remove the software from their devices.

So I now have 7 pieces of software I paid a "one-off price" for, that are no longer supported, and I need to pay another "one-off price" for the next version to ensure they keep working. Until the next "one-off price" for V3. And as an existing customer I get to pay exactly the same as a new one, no extra customer loyalty rewards for me.

The one-off price is (and always has been) for the lifetime of the version. I don't know why you think that's not clear. Many other software houses operate in this way: it is not peculair to Serif. Serif is still a relatively small company and probably don't have the capacity to continue to improve their software AND support previous versions concurrently (and there are bigger companies who do the same, anyway). It is what it is: if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

8 minutes ago, Ali said:

The one-off price is (and always has been) for the lifetime of the version. I don't know why you think that's not clear. Many other software houses operate in this way: it is not peculair to Serif. Serif is still a relatively small company and probably don't have the capacity to continue to improve their software AND support previous versions concurrently (and there are bigger companies who do the same, anyway). It is what it is: if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

Charming.

Then Serif seriously need to make very clear that the version they buy will no longer be supported when a new one is released. Because that is not a "one-off price" if the software we purchase (x7 in my case) is no longer future-proof, and we have to buy the whole lot again to keep it working and secure. Or a subscription, as it's otherwise known.

Other software companies provide upgrade paths for existing users. Customer loyalty, it's called. They don't just dump them in with the same deal as new customers.

The one-off price is (and always has been) for the lifetime of the version. I don't know why you think that's not clear.

Because that was NOT made clear when they released V1.

Many other software houses operate in this way: it is not peculair to Serif.

Yes, MANY, but not ALL, large and small.  Therefore it is NOT a standard, it is interpreted by each company, and used how THEY see fit.

Serif is still a relatively small company and probably don't have the capacity to continue to improve their software AND support previous versions concurrently.

As they say, "Not my problem".  They have been around since the 1980's.  If they can't grow, then THEY need to find out why not.  It's not down to us.

It is what it is: if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

Very nice.  I hope you don't work for Serif with an attitude like that !

54 minutes ago, monzo said:

Then Serif seriously need to make very clear that the version they buy will no longer be supported when a new one is released. Because that is not a "one-off price" if the software we purchase (x7 in my case) is no longer future-proof, and we have to buy the whole lot again to keep it working and secure.

Just how "future proof" do you expect software to be? Should I complain that the software I used on my Spectrum was not updated for free, so that it would still work on Windows! 

I am still using some software (including Serif "legacy" apps) that is now years old (with no updates) and still works fine on my new PC. I can see no reason why it should not be the same with v1 of Affinity.

Alternatively, if you choose to alter/upgrade your "kit" and that stops older apps working, that is hardly the fault of the company who originally sold you the software! – I have a few old games, which won't work on newer versions of Windows, so I keep an old laptop with Vista installed, just to be able to run them. I'm not complaining because I wasn't given free updates to the apps to keep them working when I chose to buy a new PC with a new OS!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

18 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Just how "future proof" do you expect software to be? Should I complain that the software I used on my Spectrum was not updated for free, so that it would still work on Windows!

Not really a valid comparison, is it. I expect, after being promised a "one-off" purchase (x7), with the additional guarantee that I can then "simply continue using the version you have", to either to be able to do just that, without compromising the security of my computer, and/or to be offered an existing customer upgrade path. Not be treated the same as a totally new customer. Like a lot of other software companies do.

18 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Alternatively, if you choose to alter/upgrade your "kit" and that stops older apps working, that is hardly the fault of the company who originally sold you the software! – I have a few old games, which won't work on newer versions of Windows, so I keep an old laptop with Vista installed, just to be able to run them.

Your decision to run outdated operating systems is your own. Some of us take security a bit more seriously.

I'm not asking for new features for free. I just want to be able to run my existing purchases without compromising my security online. 7 products, discontinued, overnight.

1 hour ago, monzo said:

7 products, discontinued, overnight.

Did your products really stop working overnight? Hmm.
It's great that you have the option not to "buy" version 2, and buy many other products that will guarantee you lifetime updates and upgrades, and of course total security, even though Mac/Windows will be long gone.

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Did your products really stop working overnight? Hmm.

No. Will they still work and be as secure after the next Mac, Windows, iOS update, or the one after? Hmmm?

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

It's great that you have the option not to "buy" version 2, and buy many other products that will guarantee you lifetime updates and upgrades, and of course total security, even though Mac/Windows will be long gone.

I'll pass that message on to the organisation I recommended Photo and Publisher to this summer, who are now in posession of numerous pieces of abandonware. I'm sure it will be a great comfort to them.