You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

My question is simple:

How to import my written content into Publisher?

I write my content in Paper by Dropbox (similar to Google Docs).

So in order to import that content into Publisher, can I:

1) Copy / paste content directly into a New Page?

In this case, if the content needs more than 1 page (usually), the pages are multiplied automatically, as in Word?

Also, when you copy/paste, the original format is honored, including URL links and images?

2) Exporting original content to PDF - then importing that PDF in Publisher?

In this case, the original format, URL links and images are imported as appeared in the PDF?

I just want to know what is the preferred way to import our content inside Publisher.

Thanks in advance   :)

Import Text as .txt files and go from there.

Serious answer follows.

If I had to choose one of your options I would go with number one, Copy and Paste. The original formatting may be honoured, I honestly do not know, I use neither Paper nor Google Docs. 

You will have to set up URLs and I do not know if the images will be imported but you can copy them from the Paper doc and paste them if they are not included.

<RANT> I wish everyone would start to think of PDFs as finished products, not an exchange medium. Your life will be longer and happier if you never have to import from a PDF. Your children will be smarter and more beautiful too. </RANT>

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In my experience, Affinity publisher keeps the formatting only when text is either copy/pasted from an MS word document or when placing a doc/docx document. I just tried both Google docs and dropbox paper and it didn't work. So try saving your file to doc/docx and then use file.. place...
And I'm not sure about images.

Probably your best chance is to reformat text from scratch.

Also note that you should use paragraph and character styles and don't rely on local formatting whether you're using Affinity publisher or any other software Like Google Docs or MS word.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:55 PM, toutou123 said:

In my experience, Affinity publisher keeps the formatting only when text is either copy/pasted from an MS word document or when placing a doc/docx document.

Copy/Pasting from LibreOffice Writer (and probably OpenOffice Writer) also works, and placing a .rtf document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Copy/Pasting from LibreOffice Writer (and probably OpenOffice Writer) also works, and placing a .rtf document.

I tried copy/pasting from LibreOffice, and it works, however, there are always problems in the heading paragraph styles:

Direct copy/pasting & importing .rtf documents: All heading paragraph styles are omitted.

Placing a .docx file saved from LibreOffice will import headings paragraph styles, but will add a bullet list before them, and an anchor in front of every heading 1.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, Old Bruce said:

<RANT> I wish everyone would start to think of PDFs as finished products, not an exchange medium. Your life will be longer and happier if you never have to import from a PDF. Your children will be smarter and more beautiful too. </RANT>

AMEN. I get them all the time and half the time the customer asks if I can make a change. More often than not, I can't (using CS6).

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 6:24 PM, Old Bruce said:

RANT> I wish everyone would start to think of PDFs as finished products, not an exchange medium. Your life will be longer and happier if you never have to import from a PDF. Your children will be smarter and more beautiful too. </RANT>

Well, yes, but at the moment Publisher leaves us no choice: pdf is the only common file between Publisher and almost every other publishing program. Rtf doesn't support graphics; htm can't be read, no Microsoft format can be read... So I have to use pdf, and that only works half the time. So yes, Old Bruce, I agree with your rant - but tell me what I should be doing?

8 minutes ago, Adge said:

no Microsoft format can be read... 

Hello @Adge,

welcome to the forum.

Small correction: APub supports import (placing) of Microsoft Word .docx files.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil