You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add caption on image which was text wrap applied

I have inserted an image in the middle of a text page and applied tight text wrap to the image. This has worked fine and the text has flowed round the image. I now want to add a text box over part of the image as a caption. It won't let me, I assume because of the Text wrap. If I try and bring the caption text box to the front, it still doesn't work. Is there a way to do this without having to set up seperate text boxes either side of the image and not apply wrap to the image. I have previously used Swift Publisher 5 and I coud inset a photo with wrap and then add a text box over the image as a caption.

Edited by Simon W
Forgot to click notify me switch

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 11:20 PM, mac_heibu said:

Open the text frame panel of your image caption and check „ignore text wrap“.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:01 AM, toutou123 said:

You can also group the image and the caption, and then apply the wrap to the whole group.

But to create the image caption text box I seem to have to do so outside any text box, then check 'ignore text wrap' and then drag it into position. What am I missing? It seems clumsy.

13 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

??? Wow THAT clumsy! What would be the alternative in your eyes?

I am still learning how to use the software and am in no position to make suggestions. If something does not seem right then I assume that I have missed something, possibly in setting up defaults.  Generally I already prefer Affinity to MS publisher, with which I am reasonably familiar. In this particular operation, MS  seems to be quicker.

3 hours ago, Amateur John said:

In this particular operation, MS  seems to be quicker.

With Publisher, if you want to put a Text Frame on top of another Text Frame, you can't start drawing the second one in place, because as soon as you click within the underlying frame with the Frame Text Tool you're indicating your intent to work in that frame (e.g., it will place the cursor so you can edit).

Therefore there's little choice except to start drawing the second frame somewhere else, and move it over the first frame.

If you're making a caption for an image, you could place the image, then start drawing your Text Frame on top of the image, then move it to where you want it and then group the two layers in the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt. That is what I have found with the help of previous contributers to this thread.  By comparison, in MS publisher if one selects the text tool then click and drag  within the picture which has displaced an underlying text frame by wrapping, then a new text frame is created over the picture. If one makes the first click in the exposed part of the existing text frame then an insertion point is selected within the existing text. It is very intuitive.  It is very early days for Affinity Publisher and I am very impressed how good it is at this release. I would expect niggles like this to be sorted in time. Its not a deal breaker.   John

1 hour ago, Amateur John said:

By comparison, in MS publisher if one selects the text tool then click and drag  within the picture which has displaced an underlying text frame by wrapping, then a new text frame is created over the picture. If one makes the first click in the exposed part of the existing text frame then an insertion point is selected within the existing text. It is very intuitive.

But that's also what Publisher does.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 minutes ago, Amateur John said:

I think that we should agree to disagree but you are welcome to the last word.

I would prefer to understand what you mean and have said.

I stated that in Affinity Publisher you would place the image, then draw the text frame over the image, because trying to draw it over the surrounding text would just end up putting the text cursor in the existing text frame instead.

You then seem to have said that that's how it works in MS Publisher, and you like that MS Publisher's way better.

This leaves me very confused because we seem to be describing the processing as being the same, but you seem to think they're different.

I would prefer to understand what you're saying.

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt, I have been away, and of choice have avoided the interweb. for a couple of days.  I thought that my posts were clear. In the context being discussed if you want to create a new text frame over a picture which has displaced  text in Affinity then you have to create that text frame else where and then drag it into postion. In MS Publisher that is not the case. You just start your new text frame over the picture and it does what you want. That is not a big criticism of Affinity, a piece of brilliant software at its first general release.There is an easy work round.

The work round is often even easier than I first thought. If your picture is next to a margin (often the case) then start your new text frame beyond in the margin and drag over the picture. A trivial adjustment in position then solves the problem.

Don't be over protective of Affinity. I am sure that Affinity employed experts scan these forums looking for possible improvements. Affinity does things better than MS Publisher in too many ways to enumerate. But in those cases when it does not, then let them know. Also through these forums let users know the work arounds. Of course in these forums we keep these minor criticisms/suggestions in the family.

Edited by Amateur John
to replace the word 'in' by 'beyond'.

3 hours ago, Amateur John said:

You just start your new text frame over the picture and it does what you want.

And that's what I said Publisher does, too.

And I'm sure it did the last time I tried it, but now it does not behave properly. The discrepancy between my experience and yours is why this conversation has continued.

My apologies. I will probably report this behavior as a bug.

-- Walt
PC:

No need to apologise Walt.

This captioning process tends to be repetitive for some publications, especially the one I am practising upon. I have found that creating the required field correctly once and copying it into Assets to be very effective. For the next field j ust click in assets and drag to the required position. Make minor changes to the text; job done. This works and is very effective. The behaviour might be a bug, or maybe not. In looking for a workaround I have got into using Assets at an early stage of my self education. This might all be obvious to experienced users, but to me is a huge improvement to what I was using.