You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 1.7.0 - Crop Tool - How to create custom presets

hello all,

in AP 1.7 I can't find a way to add custom presets to the list. in 1.6 version one cold set a new ratio and then add it to the list, givin it a name. in 1.7 the "create preset" item in the drop-down menu of the list is always grayed and the preset manager tool only has a button for adding a category. what am i missing?

thank you

take care,

stefano

Kind of well hidden. Gear Wheel then the little hamburger menu

173832089_ScreenShot2019-06-13at3_20_23PM.thumb.png.5dc77b2aed4e8639fc0a9f9cb7086a5a.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Perhaps I am slow and missing something. On my Windows 10 version, I too cannot seem to save custom ratios. Yes, I can go to the gear icon and yes, I can click on the hamburger menu. But the Create Preset option is greyed out. Only the Manage Presets option is available, and I don't see how to create a preset is available here. In the Presets Manager, I am given the option of creating a new category, or importing presets, but not create a new one that I had entered. In our previous version, entering a custom ratio and adding it as a preset was fairly simple.

7 hours ago, alpineguy said:

On my Windows 10 version, I too cannot seem to save custom ratios. Yes, I can go to the gear icon and yes, I can click on the hamburger menu. But the Create Preset option is greyed out.

You can only create Custom Ratio or Absolute Size presets, so the Mode must be set to one of those two choices or "Create Preset..." will be greyed out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

thank you all for the clues

mac os 10.12.6

AP 1.7

I load an image, select the crop tool, select "custom ratio", input a value for w&h ==> "create preset" in the hamburger menu is still grayed out :(

apparently, a new ratio can be created only as absolute dimensions, which is not that useful

take care,

stefano

You will not be able to create a Custom Ratio  preset if that preset already exists, which includes all the default presets that are already set up.

Also bear in mind Affinity considers a Custom Ratio preset of 6 x 3 to be the same as 3 x6 so you can only set up one of these.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Also bear in mind Affinity considers a Custom Ratio preset of 6 x 3 to be the same as 3 x6 so you can only set up one of these.

I haven't tested it but I wonder if it does the same for different versions of the same ratio, like 1:2 for 3:6, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You are indeed correct Carl123. Creating a new custom ratio that is not in the current list does indeed work, but trying to create the reciprocal of a current preset doesn't Creating a 4x5 does not work because 5x4 is already in the presets. I regularly used a 4x5  and similar reciprocals in ver. 1.6 and earlier and found it very convenient to just pop open my list of presets when cropping. Since the rotate option in cropping does not rotate the crop outline, but appears limited to rotating the image, This new format of cropping presets seems awkward and less useful to me. Adjusting the crop of a vertical format when the image is 90 degrees turned is less useful. Am I still just missing something or is this the new normal.

4 hours ago, alpineguy said:

Since the rotate option in cropping does not rotate the crop outline, but appears limited to rotating the image...

The Rotate button on the context toolbar in Affinity Photo 1.7 rotates the crop box, not the image.

Affinity Photo 

On 6/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, R C-R said:

The Rotate button on the context toolbar in Affinity Photo 1.7 rotates the crop box, not the image.

yes that's true, thank you for pointing it out.

but -if i don't fail- there's a difference between rotating the crop box and having crop ratios and their reciprocals in the ratios list: in 1.6.x, when you selected the reciprocal of the current ratio, the crop box was limited to the image boundaries, while in 1.7 it's not, and this means you have to resize it most of the times.

having the reciprocal of any ratio just one click away is really useful, but I don't think this conflicts with the capability to add reciprocals to the list: both features together would enable users to go the way they find more suitable to their need.

take care,

stefano

@barninga, I agree 100% with you that it would be much better if we could save the reciprocals of existing crop ratios as separate custom presets like we could in 1.6.x.

This probably should be reported as a feature request or maybe as a bug, but I suspect that the devs are busy investigating other, more pressing issues in the 1.7.x updates right now to give it a very high priority.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R it's not a priority for me either.

I did not trigger serius bugs in AP 1.7.0 yet.

Apparently, they have solved a nasty bug with the clone tool that produced artifacts when the destination area overlapped the source area.

Apparently, also a bug that caused upper pixel layers to be misplaced when there was a live perspective layer under them has been smashed down.

the annoyance that causes macros not to always start when clicked in the library is still there, though. it's just an annoyance anyway.

after updating, my upper toolbar was reset to default, and the studio too had some unwanted changes. nothing so seroius.

it still lacks a haze removal live filter.

I did not tried whether masks can be dodged and burned; the new HSL tool looks more prowerful.

take care,

stefano

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, barninga said:

thank you all for the clues

mac os 10.12.6

AP 1.7

I load an image, select the crop tool, select "custom ratio", input a value for w&h ==> "create preset" in the hamburger menu is still grayed out :(

apparently, a new ratio can be created only as absolute dimensions, which is not that useful

Same issue here. AP 1.7.2 on a Mac with Macos 10.14.6

I cannot create a preset: "create preset" is always grayed out unless I choose "custom ratio" or "resample".

There is no Absolute Size option.

When I choose a 90x120 pixel resample, for some reason AP insists in using it as 120x90px.

All I want to do is create a fixed size preset. How can I do it?

thanks

Rafael

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 11.57.33.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.02.42.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.03.11.png

4 minutes ago, Rafael Santos said:

When I choose a 90x120 pixel resample, for some reason AP insists in using it as 120x90px.

Yes, it's an annoying feature of the way it currently works. Once you select the preset you have to click the Rotate button to change the crop to 90x120

It's been reported before so hopefully it will change in the future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

The inability to create a preset as the inverse of an existing preset is quite annoying; even with the "rotate" button option to invert the preset. For example, when using the existing custom ratio preset of 16x9, and then using the rotate button causes the crop box to exceed the upper and lower bounds of the canvas. From there, you must manually adjust the height of the crop box and then move the crop box.

Would be nice if there were at least an option to rotate and then resize the crop tool to be within the bounds of the canvas. Ideally, we should be able to create any preset we want, regardless of any other preset.

19 minutes ago, nCubed said:

The inability to create a preset as the inverse of an existing preset is quite annoying;

You can do that now in 1.10.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1