You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spot colors on gradients

Gradients don't honor spot colors on pdf export.

If I create a gradient with spot colors and output to pdf the gradient will be CMYK even if I select to honor spot colors.

I was able to get around this by doing a solid color on the bottom, copying the object and pasting it on top, applying the secondary color with a transparency. Seems like a lot of extra work. I've attached a sample file. The top box is done with the gradient tool and the bottom one with my work around.

SpotTest.pdf

Some versions of PDF only support CMYK, so check the version that you're using.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

If you check out the pdf you'll see that the box I did at the bottom is spot colors. (If you have a viewer that shows separations anyway) It's only the one I created with the gradient tool that is CMYK.

18 minutes ago, MajesticFlame said:

Gradients don't honor spot colors on pdf export.

(...) I was able to get around this by doing a solid color on the bottom, copying the object and pasting it on top, applying the secondary color with a transparency.

Smart workaround! – Unfortunately gradient swatches are not allowed as global swatches – whereas spot color swatches have to be global. Possibly this leads to the unexpected limitation for spot colors in gradients on export in AfPub.

11 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Hm? – Even PDF/X-1a (PDF 1.3) does support spot colors.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I am perhaps missing the obvious here but I have seen this sort of question asked before and I honestly don't understand what the expectation is regarding the output. Is the expectation that the output will be two spot colour plates for the gradient instead of the four CMYK plates?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

37 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I honestly don't understand what the expectation is regarding the output.

I see the expected – though, as MajesticFlame wrote, just simulated with transparency * workaround – result in the lower rectangle of his initially attached PDF.
Or, short: "Spot color on gradients", as the topic says. – What in detail makes you doubt?

* which would not meet all PDF versions, as PaulEC might have meant to point out.

No 'doubt'. I do not know what he wants, Two Printing Plates (the spot colours) opposed to Four Printing Plates(C,M,Y and K).

I am left guessing he is trying to save on setup and ink costs.

Or is he trying to use Spot Colours for some reason I don't understand.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am left guessing he is trying to save on setup and ink costs.

Not costs only. He could want a 2-color print with inks that don't exist in CMYK.

Where I work currently we mostly use CMYK but in my past job we used spot colors all the time. I was just testing out how Publisher did with spot colors, haven't been using it much for actual production work yet.

14 hours ago, thomaso said:

Not costs only. He could want a 2-color print with inks that don't exist in CMYK.

At my past job we printed a lot of 2 color jobs with colors that would be hard or impossible to accurately print in CMYK.

Thanks for the clarification MajesticFlame.

An aside: I never understood why clients wanted spot colours until one of them took the time to explain it to me. "Approximate is not good enough."

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.