You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The closest I can find in the Help guide is the Pen Tool in either "Pen" Mode or "Smart" Mode, but I'm not very skilled (if anti-skilled were a thing, I'd use that) at using the Pen Tool. Is there a "pre-fabricated" tool like what Illustrator or iDraw has for those of us falling into the "Artistically Deficient" category?  ;) 

Actually, you really shouldn't take the easy road.  You can learn how to create amazing drawing and shapes in Affinity Designer.  Check out this free resource (Affinity Review #1) and watch the videos toward the end and you will be creating arcs in no time.

Hey, thanks for the link--that and the Affinity Resources page are both incredibly helpful!  B)

• 4 years later...

On 5/21/2015 at 8:48 AM, MattP said:

We've got a fantastic plan for adding arc segment drawing into our existing Pen Tool - we just need some time to add it, but it will appear one day! :)

I am impressed how far ahead of time your planning goes... ;-)

I wanted to do an arc with arrow heads, but so I can easily change the angles later. It should look like the blue arc (I created with cutting a circle, so angles are fixed). I tried to use the pie tool and set the hole radius to 100%. Works in principle, but not in regard to arrow heads. When doing this both arrow heads overlap and only one is seen. This is how AD treads the start and end of the line, as can be seen with the red shape.

By the way, the same is - of course - true for the line caps. You cannot get butt cap equivalents on the pie, as neither bevel nor miter join would achieve this.

My suggestion is to tread the end of the line differently, when hole radius equals 100%. For this special case, I suggest to not draw the inner circle and the connecting lines, just the outer circle. Then the arrow heads should be shown correctly automatically... and the caps too.

Maybe this can be implemented easier than the arc segment pen tool... ;-)

Arcs and arrows.png

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2015 at 4:48 PM, MattP said:

We've got a fantastic plan for adding arc segment drawing into our existing Pen Tool - we just need some time to add it, but it will appear one day! :)

A parametric arc is useful, as opposed to some method that results in a standard curve - I have a use for it right now, where I want to be able to adjust the start and end points but use a stroke on an unfilled arc.  I'll be changing the start/end angles frequently.

The code for the "pie" object can do the job - although I'm guessing it ends up with some doubled-up geometry - you can set the "hole radius" to 100% then set start/end angles to create a parametric, unfilled arc. I imagine peeps won't find this obvious, so the code could be repurposed to a specific arc tool.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM