You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pressure Sensitivity Adjustment Slider for Desktop Mac + Sidecar

Apple doesn't let you tweak the pressure curve on pencil because they make it a states rights issue and leave it to developers to implement. Fair play. However, the default pressure sensitivity really sucks, and may encourage people to damage their iPads by drawing too hard. The default setting needs to be about 8x as sensitive, but there is no way to adjust this now. We really need a pressure sensitivity adjustment slider for the desktop version.

• 5 months later...

I'm also having this problem. The sensitivity in affinity designer for the iPad in sidecar mode is awful. There needs to be an easy way to globally adjust this. I have both the Mac and iPad version of Designer and the iPad version works fine. 

If there is a fix for this, please let me know.

OK, so it's not just me.  I've been tentatively trying to use Pencil with the desktop version of Affinity Designer through Sidecar and thought it just plain didn't work - until I discovered that pressing much harder than I feel should be necessary had an effect.

So +1 for this feature.  The ability to use Pencil through Sidecar is a big attraction and right now it's not really usable as you need to push far too hard to register anything.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, in which case please enlighten me...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 6:11 AM, alidark3000 said:

Apple should really fix this on their end, but if there is a way to get this working in affinity so that the curve is as it is in the app, would be good.

agreed

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sejnicku said:

Does anybody from Affinity read these posts?

Yes, but they generally do not comment in this part of the forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

Regretting more and more having jumped to Affinity Photo 2 (the whole trio of apps). It's a great price for what it does but still alt+del or command+enter, etc when put as fill selection with primary or secondary colors STILL don't work for example.

So, global pressure sensitive, the best I can come up with is with the brushes to adjust the curve they come with at the "more" section next to the 'force pressure' icon... PER BRUSH.

Use this type of curve:

image.png.65dd2c75a044ed526b9fd870ee8fd09b.png

Now, this definitely requires care from the development team, going to try to open a suggestion if I don't see any. That curve makes it considerably more useful fyi.