Jump to content
rubs

Pages in Affinity Designer?

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Glicky said:

Sorry, i meant to say DrawPlus..

Ah yes, OK. Even with DrawPlus as an example, it had many features in it which Affinity Designer isn't ever going to add (e.g. keyframe animation). When we re-wrote the applications from scratch, we wanted to keep a tighter focus on what the usages of the programs should be, rather than trying to fit as many features in as possible. Again though, if DrawPlus is more suitable for your use, please continue to use it, we won't be taking it away :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Designer has the ability to navigate through pages in an afpub file, but that's about it. If you want to work with page layout, then we suggest using Publisher. Designer is a vector design and illustration app, so pages aren't part of its remit.

Yes, but... since "Pages" was something promised as a Feature and not just something to be supported, one would assume that you'd do a little more.

Best regards!


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

Yes, but... since "Pages" was something promised as a Feature and not just something to be supported, one would assume that you'd do a little more.

On the other hand, that item was added to the Designer Roadmap, I think, before Publisher was known. And with the development of new applications comes an opportunity for Serif to rethink the functions that each should support.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Personally I think it is just a commercial decision to protect each application.

Me too


"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Personally I think it is just a commercial decision to protect each application.

 

35 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Me too

No, we just didn't want to start having a cross-over of functionality. We added Artboards to Designer after we had discussed pages, as that makes more sense for the majority of our customers.

If you don't want to buy the software, then please don't buy it. Use whatever software works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

On the other hand, that item was added to the Designer Roadmap, I think, before Publisher was known. And with the development of new applications comes an opportunity for Serif to rethink the functions that each should support.

It was added to the Designer roadmap before Publisher was released to public beta, but Publisher was known to be coming to the Affinity suite eventually (and as a DTP app it was obviously going to have pages).

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

No, we just didn't want to start having a cross-over of functionality. We added Artboards to Designer after we had discussed pages, as that makes more sense for the majority of our customers.

Pages remained on the Designer roadmap long after artboards were added to the app. As for “a cross-over of functionality”, we were told quite early on that although linked text frames would remain exclusive to Publisher there were other features such as bulleted and numbered lists which would be ported across after they were introduced into APub.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Pages remained on the Designer roadmap long after artboards were added to the app. As for “a cross-over of functionality”, we were told quite early on that although linked text frames would remain exclusive to Publisher there were other features such as bulleted and numbered lists which would be ported across after they were introduced into APub.

Everything remained on the roadmap long after things were added, because we never updated the roadmaps. That's why they've ultimately been removed - because they were out of date and don't reflect the actual direction of the products any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be enough to add the Pages panel to the Designer, the same as in the Publisher in the Desiger Persona module. Then, in addition to browsing the pages, you would be able to add and copy pages in Designer.
Technically, no problem, just some psychological barrier from Serif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Everything remained on the roadmap long after things were added, because we never updated the roadmaps. That's why they've ultimately been removed - because they were out of date and don't reflect the actual direction of the products any more.

 

Hi Mark,

So what is the "actual direction of the products" now?  I think as customers of Serif, it would not be out of character to want to know what is on the "roadmap".

Kind Regards,

Nana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you don't want to buy the software, then please don't buy it. Use whatever software works for you.

You are not good at this.


"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nana said:

 

Hi Mark,

So what is the "actual direction of the products" now?  I think as customers of Serif, it would not be out of character to want to know what is on the "roadmap".

Kind Regards,

Nana

It's a reasonable request, but the trouble with promising features, is that when they don't appear for whatever reason, people get annoyed - this post is an example of that. So for now, we have nothing to say about future features.

I would also like to re-iterate that we released Designer 5 years ago, and our customers have been receiving free feature and bug fix releases over this period. We think that's pretty reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nana said:

So what is the "actual direction of the products" now?  I think as customers of Serif, it would not be out of character to want to know what is on the "roadmap".

Very good question. It is just "great" that the discussion circled around the roadmap thread for years when it wasn't relevant anymore. You do know as well as the rest of the forum that people referred to the roadmap in hundreds of posts when people asked for features. So what are they all waiting for in reality? 


"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I would also like to re-iterate that we released Designer 5 years ago, and our customers have been receiving free feature and bug fix releases over this period. We think that's pretty reasonable.

But is it smart? Too long? Why not charge for an update after three years and then actually deliver the features. Roadmap or not. Designer has so few vector features.


"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It's a reasonable request, but the trouble with promising features, is that when they don't appear for whatever reason, people get annoyed - this post is an example of that. So for now, we have nothing to say about future features.

So, you mean to say that you will not post a new road map anymore??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Personally I think it is just a commercial decision to protect each application.

That's not necessarily bad. Serif must make a profit in order to stay in business. And artboards are powerful enough for most design tasks.

When I started using AD I thought I would miss pages (coming from Corel and Xara), but today I find artboards better and more flexible. They could be improved in several ways, but this is a separate subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rubs said:

That's not necessarily bad. Serif must make a profit in order to stay in business. And artboards are powerful enough for most design tasks.

When I started using AD I thought I would miss pages (coming from Corel and Xara), but today I find artboards better and more flexible. They could be improved in several ways, but this is a separate subject.

At least XDP can also have multiple page sizes...easier than CD. While they cannot be moved around any place one wants them, at least there is not the issue of being off a partial pixel. And their Photo type document is really handy. Not to mention it is extremely quick to use and output from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

at least there is not the issue of being off a partial pixel.

Yeah. That. :D Much requested option in these forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

No, we just didn't want to start having a cross-over of functionality. We added Artboards to Designer after we had discussed pages, as that makes more sense for the majority of our customers.

There wouldn’t be cross-over functionality if the Pages in Desiner had the UI Design approach, and you are half-way afar from that.

 

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you don't want to buy the software, then please don't buy it. Use whatever software works for you.

Having read that, I would like to ask that the Team closes the Feature Request sections in the Forum.

Regards.


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:
  12 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Personally I think it is just a commercial decision to protect each application.

13 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you don't want to buy the software, then please don't buy it. Use whatever software works for you.

@Mark Ingram when I said I don't want to buy the software?

And after reading your reply twice I think it is better not to reply/talk about feature of Affinity. And by the way I have all three Application and already cross your 14 days time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 12:03 PM, Glicky said:

"Pages" was in the (erased) feature roadmap...

 

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Everything remained on the roadmap long after things were added, because we never updated the roadmaps. That's why they've ultimately been removed - because they were out of date and don't reflect the actual direction of the products any more.

I’ve just discovered that the roadmaps haven’t been erased/removed: they’ve merely been hidden.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 1:19 PM, Alfred said:

I’ve just discovered that the roadmaps haven’t been erased/removed: they’ve merely been hidden.

 

Where? o.O


"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Where? o.O

Right where they were, probably. When a forum post or topic is hidden only the administrators can see it.

If you visit that referenced post, you should see that for the quoted material you get "I'm sorry, I can't show that to you" or a similar message.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you visit that referenced post, you should see that for the quoted material you get "I'm sorry, I can't show that to you" or a similar message.

Something like that, yes! Here’s a screenshot I made earlier:

0A0FC832-1B74-4B6E-AEC1-CBD1FF6C26D9.jpeg


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.