You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pages in Affinity Designer?

19 minutes ago, Glicky said:

Sorry, i meant to say DrawPlus..

Ah yes, OK. Even with DrawPlus as an example, it had many features in it which Affinity Designer isn't ever going to add (e.g. keyframe animation). When we re-wrote the applications from scratch, we wanted to keep a tighter focus on what the usages of the programs should be, rather than trying to fit as many features in as possible. Again though, if DrawPlus is more suitable for your use, please continue to use it, we won't be taking it away :-).

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Designer has the ability to navigate through pages in an afpub file, but that's about it. If you want to work with page layout, then we suggest using Publisher. Designer is a vector design and illustration app, so pages aren't part of its remit.

Yes, but... since "Pages" was something promised as a Feature and not just something to be supported, one would assume that you'd do a little more.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

Yes, but... since "Pages" was something promised as a Feature and not just something to be supported, one would assume that you'd do a little more.

On the other hand, that item was added to the Designer Roadmap, I think, before Publisher was known. And with the development of new applications comes an opportunity for Serif to rethink the functions that each should support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

51 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Personally I think it is just a commercial decision to protect each application.

Me too

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Personally I think it is just a commercial decision to protect each application.

35 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Me too

No, we just didn't want to start having a cross-over of functionality. We added Artboards to Designer after we had discussed pages, as that makes more sense for the majority of our customers.

If you don't want to buy the software, then please don't buy it. Use whatever software works for you.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

On the other hand, that item was added to the Designer Roadmap, I think, before Publisher was known. And with the development of new applications comes an opportunity for Serif to rethink the functions that each should support.

It was added to the Designer roadmap before Publisher was released to public beta, but Publisher was known to be coming to the Affinity suite eventually (and as a DTP app it was obviously going to have pages).

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

No, we just didn't want to start having a cross-over of functionality. We added Artboards to Designer after we had discussed pages, as that makes more sense for the majority of our customers.

Pages remained on the Designer roadmap long after artboards were added to the app. As for “a cross-over of functionality”, we were told quite early on that although linked text frames would remain exclusive to Publisher there were other features such as bulleted and numbered lists which would be ported across after they were introduced into APub.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Pages remained on the Designer roadmap long after artboards were added to the app. As for “a cross-over of functionality”, we were told quite early on that although linked text frames would remain exclusive to Publisher there were other features such as bulleted and numbered lists which would be ported across after they were introduced into APub.

Everything remained on the roadmap long after things were added, because we never updated the roadmaps. That's why they've ultimately been removed - because they were out of date and don't reflect the actual direction of the products any more.

It would be enough to add the Pages panel to the Designer, the same as in the Publisher in the Desiger Persona module. Then, in addition to browsing the pages, you would be able to add and copy pages in Designer.
Technically, no problem, just some psychological barrier from Serif.

7 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Everything remained on the roadmap long after things were added, because we never updated the roadmaps. That's why they've ultimately been removed - because they were out of date and don't reflect the actual direction of the products any more.

Hi Mark,

So what is the "actual direction of the products" now?  I think as customers of Serif, it would not be out of character to want to know what is on the "roadmap".

Kind Regards,

Nana

27 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you don't want to buy the software, then please don't buy it. Use whatever software works for you.

You are not good at this.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 minute ago, Nana said:

Hi Mark,

So what is the "actual direction of the products" now?  I think as customers of Serif, it would not be out of character to want to know what is on the "roadmap".

Kind Regards,

Nana

It's a reasonable request, but the trouble with promising features, is that when they don't appear for whatever reason, people get annoyed - this post is an example of that. So for now, we have nothing to say about future features.

I would also like to re-iterate that we released Designer 5 years ago, and our customers have been receiving free feature and bug fix releases over this period. We think that's pretty reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Nana said:

Very good question. It is just "great" that the discussion circled around the roadmap thread for years when it wasn't relevant anymore. You do know as well as the rest of the forum that people referred to the roadmap in hundreds of posts when people asked for features. So what are they all waiting for in reality? 

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I would also like to re-iterate that we released Designer 5 years ago, and our customers have been receiving free feature and bug fix releases over this period. We think that's pretty reasonable.

But is it smart? Too long? Why not charge for an update after three years and then actually deliver the features. Roadmap or not. Designer has so few vector features.

28 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It's a reasonable request, but the trouble with promising features, is that when they don't appear for whatever reason, people get annoyed - this post is an example of that. So for now, we have nothing to say about future features.

So, you mean to say that you will not post a new road map anymore??

3 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

That's not necessarily bad. Serif must make a profit in order to stay in business. And artboards are powerful enough for most design tasks.

When I started using AD I thought I would miss pages (coming from Corel and Xara), but today I find artboards better and more flexible. They could be improved in several ways, but this is a separate subject.

16 minutes ago, rubs said:

That's not necessarily bad. Serif must make a profit in order to stay in business. And artboards are powerful enough for most design tasks.

When I started using AD I thought I would miss pages (coming from Corel and Xara), but today I find artboards better and more flexible. They could be improved in several ways, but this is a separate subject.

At least XDP can also have multiple page sizes...easier than CD. While they cannot be moved around any place one wants them, at least there is not the issue of being off a partial pixel. And their Photo type document is really handy. Not to mention it is extremely quick to use and output from.

There wouldn’t be cross-over functionality if the Pages in Desiner had the UI Design approach, and you are half-way afar from that.

Having read that, I would like to ask that the Team closes the Feature Request sections in the Forum.

Regards.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:03 PM, Glicky said:

"Pages" was in the (erased) feature roadmap...

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I’ve just discovered that the roadmaps haven’t been erased/removed: they’ve merely been hidden.

Alfred spacer.png

On 7/4/2019 at 1:19 PM, Alfred said:

I’ve just discovered that the roadmaps haven’t been erased/removed: they’ve merely been hidden.

Where? o.O

17 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Where? o.O

Right where they were, probably. When a forum post or topic is hidden only the administrators can see it.

If you visit that referenced post, you should see that for the quoted material you get "I'm sorry, I can't show that to you" or a similar message.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you visit that referenced post, you should see that for the quoted material you get "I'm sorry, I can't show that to you" or a similar message.

Something like that, yes! Here’s a screenshot I made earlier:

0A0FC832-1B74-4B6E-AEC1-CBD1FF6C26D9.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

On 7/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, Mark Ingram said:

On 7/3/2019 at 10:36 PM, Mark Ingram said:

I hope that doesn't mean that we're never getting roadmaps in the future. Would be a real shame, even if some of the features would not end up being implemented of some reason. Does this also mean that all the features on the old roadmaps are scrapped, or will we still see some of them (i.e. Export Persona showing the results of the export based on settings, non-destructive Develop Persona for Photo, Knife tool for Designer, etc.)?

As for Serif deciding to keep certain features exclusive to each software, I am personally fine with it after using StudioLink for the last few weeks, and I consider your pricing model to be reasonable enough that I don't feel ripped off for having to buy all programs to get a more complete experience while working (Publisher is great for worklfow efficiency). I can however understand people's frustrations after waiting so long for those roadmap features for their preferred software.

I think it would have been better if you had made this announcement earlier and not on a random thread in the Beta forums, since it is actually a pretty big deal that the old roadmaps were scrapped. People have been quite confused about the decision, myself included, since it was done so unceremoniously. Just my two cents.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.