You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pages in Affinity Designer?

29 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Thanks for this. I've read the top explanation part of the topic you posted and some of the first reactions to it. Now I understand your needs better.

Actually I'm working in web-development and -design too and I understand better what you want and why. I wasn't aware that I'm often looking for just a simular workflow (to be able to flip from one to the other view in the same place to see differences easily and to use a grid system and the same rulers and all that while still working on different pages/views).

So basically the features missing in designer now to do that are to add and delete masterpages and pages and perhaps have some dedicated pages panel with bigger buttons and more advanced navigation to navigate between them. So actually the pages panel of Publisher, but then build into Designer. So we still have all tools to design in Designer, but also have pages on the same position. That would indeed be a huge timesaver, cause using the layering system inside Designer for this is definitely not enough for this usecase. I totally agree.

It would indeed be crazy if we first needed to go to Publisher, just to create some empty pages and masterpages, just to have these pages in Designer to put our layouts to them. And if we would like to add or delete a page, we have to go back to Publisher again and so on and so forth... that would be pretty inefficient and spoils the fun of working in one software program and be productive.

I agree. There should be a way to add and delete pages in Designer too and have a panel for pages in Designer with a way to add and delete pages (although I like the navigator on the bottom too, just have both :)).

Indeed, it'd be of great use for many. Also, that'd be a good distinction between both programs, as Serif has inteded that to be.+Hope the Devs make it happen like that.

Best regards!

40 minutes ago, Friksel said:

It would indeed be crazy if we first needed to go to Publisher, just to create some empty pages and masterpages, just to have these pages in Designer to put our layouts to them. And if we would like to add or delete a page, we have to go back to Publisher again and so on and so forth... that would be pretty inefficient and spoils the fun of working in one software program and be productive.

You're not thinking about the possibilities you could get with Publisher having Personas for Designer and Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You're not thinking about the possibilities you could get with Publisher having Personas for Designer and Photo.

But if someone is interested only in buying Designer, because they want to design Webpages, this would be great.

Best regards!

I would like all the features of a Ferrari, but am only interested in buying a Renault, so if Renault could just add all those features that would be great. :D

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

21 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

I would like all the features of a Ferrari, but am only interested in buying a Renault, so if Renault could just add all those features that would be great. :D

In this case, the Renault and the Ferrari wouldn't have the same feature, even if they have the same name. :P 

Best regards!

image.png.9063db1c46b74d68b8c228f69f709d9c.png

Pages in Designer would be nice. This is how I often work - example made in Gravit Designer. Fast, simple, everybody understands the concept from day one.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

image.png.9063db1c46b74d68b8c228f69f709d9c.png

Pages in Designer would be nice. This is how I often work - example made in Gravit Designer. Fast, simple, everybody understands the concept from day one.

You can do this with layer groups in AD already. And there is also snapshots :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

26 minutes ago, dominik said:

You can do this with layer groups in AD already. And there is also snapshots :)

d.

Pages, like this way, would add another level of organization that help enourmously in this kind of work. It’d help to increase productivity by a wide margin.

Give it a try, using Gravit, with a Web Design workflow in mind. :)

Best regards!

10 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Like anybody working with Affinity Designr doesn't know already there are layers, layergroups and snapshots... O.o

We have to learn and explore constantly. Especially when coming from Adobe. Some things work the same. Many things need a new approach. This is why I value these forums. We can help each other. I myself do learn a lot from here.

BTW, I am not against pages in AD. I just look at  a workflow that already is available without pages created within AD.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 6/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, walt.farrell said:

Wow, I have to say I'm pretty impressed by the new 'StudioLink'. When you wrote this I wouldn't expect it to be such a nice workflow and usable for this usecase, but now I'm very convinced and you were right. This is a great solution and it's already there!

We can now both scroll AND flip pages in Designer when started from Publisher, which is pretty cleverly build and nice to be able to both! Makes it even better than I was looking for. Now we can both look at pages above each other as well as flip them on the same position! Love it!

Really impressed! For me this speeds up my workflow enormously! No more wishes to add according to pages for me for sure! And we have all features of Photo, Designer AND Publisher at our disposal in one interface. Just briljant! Serif had a great vision! :)

11 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Pages, like this way, would add another level of organization that help enourmously in this kind of work. It’d help to increase productivity by a wide margin.

Give it a try, using Gravit, with a Web Design workflow in mind. :)

Best regards!

My guess is once you tried the combination with publisher and the links with Photo and Designer you will not look at Gravit anymore. Try it! It's great! Pages just like you like it: scrollable AND flippable and both pages and masterpages. :)

9 minutes ago, Friksel said:

My guess is once you tried the combination with publisher and the links with Photo and Designer you will not look at Gravit anymore. Try it! It's great! Pages just like you like it: scrollable AND flippable and both pages and masterpages. :)

I don't use Gravit, I simply pointed to it to understand what the use of Pages was being suggested. :P 

Also, yeah, I will try the new Workflow. :)

But also, I'd like Designer by itself to be able to do the Web Design thingy.

Best regards!

6 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I don't use Gravit, I simply pointed to it to understand what the use of Pages was being suggested. :P 

Also, yeah, I will try the new Workflow. :)

But also, I'd like Designer by itself to be able to do the Web Design thingy.

Best regards!

Wait 'till you see it. You will be impressed I think. For 150 euros for the three programs you have basically everything in one package. 

Best regards! :)

[edit] Oh no, that's not right. Not everything in Designer is in the Designer persona inside Publisher. Like there's no export persona with watcher and all, which is pretty handy in Designer. Guess I have to take a closer look first and really work with it on a day to day basis to know the real worth. But still I'm pretty impressed. And we still have all three packages seperate anyway.

8 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Wait 'till you see it. You will be impressed I think. For 150 euros for the three programs you have basically everything in one package. 

Best regards! :)

[edit] Oh no, that's not right. Not everything in Designer is in the Designer persona inside Publisher. Like there's no export persona with watcher and all, which is pretty handy in Designer. Guess I have to take a closer look first and really work with it on a day to day basis to know the real worth. But still I'm pretty impressed. And we still have all three packages seperate anyway.

I believe it make sense, since Publisher is to Export "whole Documents", nos little pieces like in Designer.

I hope to try it and I hope many folks take advantage of this. And also, I want the Pages thingy in Designer, as a standalone. :P

Best regards!

1 minute ago, Mithferion said:

I believe it make sense, since Publisher is to Export "whole Documents", nos little pieces like in Designer.

I hope to try it and I hope many folks take advantage of this. And also, I want the Pages thingy in Designer, as a standalone. :P

Best regards!

Yes indeed. It might help you see it in action if you didn't see the keynote today: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/live/

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I just want page support in Designer. I don't need Publisher. Or Photo.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 hours ago, Jowday said:

I just want page support in Designer. I don't need Publisher. Or Photo.

Then you should make a feature request.

But I doubt Serif will implement it. Their plan seems to be that Designer uses Artboards, and Publisher uses pages.

So, basically, if you want pages, then you really do need Publisher. And even buying both they're amazingly inexpensive compared to some of the other alternatives.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I am not a masochist, so no. :)

Perhaps artboards will do. I just prefer working with pages like I did once in DrawPlus. Ideal for brainstorming. Every page has its own layers. I jump from one concept to another. Every page and concept is isolated. Switching between them is fast and logical. 

Studiolink is a great idea when Publisher is your main tool. It never will be mine.

4 hours ago, Jowday said:

Every page has its own layers. I jump from one concept to another. Every page and concept is isolated.

Those are also true of Artboards.

4 hours ago, Jowday said:

Switching between them is fast and logical. 

That is less true of Artboards, and a good reason (perhaps) for requesting an Artboards panel like Publisher has a Pages panel.

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Then you should make a feature request.

But I doubt Serif will implement [pages in Designer]. Their plan seems to be that Designer uses Artboards, and Publisher uses pages.

So, basically, if you want pages, then you really do need Publisher. And even buying both they're amazingly inexpensive compared to some of the other alternatives.

I thought I read somewhere that pages were eventually going to be added to Designer’s feature set.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

esigner is a vector design and illustration app, so pages aren't part of its remit.

PagePlus was also a "vector design and illustration app" and it has pages, same with CorelDRAW, why not the same with ADesigner?

Just now, Glicky said:

PagePlus was also a "vector design and illustration app" and it has pages, same with CorelDRAW, why not the same with ADesigner?

No, it wasn't, it was a desktop publishing app. We would have recommended DrawPlus for vector design back when we were making those products.

If those apps are more suited to you (PagePlus and CorelDRAW), then please continue to use them.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.