You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pages in Affinity Designer?

I think it's referring to allowing page navigation when you open a Publisher file in Designer or Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

6 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you open an .afpub file, Designer will allow you to navigate through the pages (previously it only ever showed the first page).

Yes! that's great! Using the same codebase for all three programs to make it possible for us to keep on working in the same file with all three programs and their own expertises is such a great idea and such a timesaver.

It makes everything so much more flexible to switch between applications to get the best interface and tools for each stage and still applications are seperated to keep interfaces clean. Best of both worlds to me and no need to compromise by importers or whatever. 

Great decision! I love it! :)

On 6/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, Friksel said:

Yes! that's great! Using the same codebase for all three programs to make it possible for us to keep on working in the same file with all three programs and their own expertises is such a great idea and such a timesaver.

It makes everything so much more flexible to switch between applications to get the best interface and tools for each stage and still applications are seperated to keep interfaces clean. Best of both worlds to me and no need to compromise by importers or whatever. 

Great decision! I love it! :)

Once publisher will be officially released. You'll have access to the photo and designer personas as well.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, GarryP said:

You don’t say where the quote was from but no, Designer doesn’t use the concept of pages but it does let you use multiple artboards.

Sorry, this quote is from the 1.7.1.385 Customer Beta changelog. I didn't understand why Designer would have page navigation, but @Mark Ingram explained it.

That’s okay; I should have been more precise myself.
I think what I should have said is that Designer doesn’t let you create pages in an AFDESIGN document but it does let you navigate pages in an AFPUB document. Or, to put it another way, if your Affinity document wasn’t created in Publisher you can’t use pages within that document in Designer. Or something like that.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

That’s okay; I should have been more precise myself.
I think what I should have said is that Designer doesn’t let you create pages in an AFDESIGN document but it does let you navigate pages in an AFPUB document. Or, to put it another way, if your Affinity document wasn’t created in Publisher you can’t use pages within that document in Designer. Or something like that.

Weren't pages a part of the roadmap for Designer (I'm pretty sure they were)? Wouldn't that mean that we at some point will get the entire feature ported over to Designer, so you can create them without needing Publisher? If not, at least it's good that pages are accessible in Publisher and are viewable in the other Affinity products.

25 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Weren't pages a part of the roadmap for Designer (I'm pretty sure they were)? Wouldn't that mean that we at some point will get the entire feature ported over to Designer at some point, so you can create them without needing Publisher? If not, at least it's good that pages are accessible in Publisher and are viewable in the other Affinity products.

Pages have certainly been mentioned as a feature which would be added to Designer eventually, but Serif have indicated that they have no plans to add linked text frames.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Actually, I’ve just tried to open a Publisher (beta) file in Designer 1.7 and I can’t see a way of selecting a different page.
It always seems to go to the last page edited and there’s no Pages panel in Studios.
Does anyone know if there is a way to navigate between pages in Designer or is that something that will only come when Publisher is released and we get the new Application Personas?

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Actually, I’ve just tried to open a Publisher (beta) file in Designer 1.7 and I can’t see a way of selecting a different page.
It always seems to go to the last page edited and there’s no Pages panel in Studios.
Does anyone know if there is a way to navigate between pages in Designer or is that something that will only come when Publisher is released and we get the new Application Personas?

I recall something in the patch notes about them adding support for showing pages in the 1.7.1 Beta for Designer, but I haven't checked that out yet. If you do check it out, please tell me if it works now or not. ^_^

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Are you using the current retail version of Designer 1.7, or the latest beta?

On 6/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, Mark Ingram said:

If you open an .afpub file, Designer will allow you to navigate through the pages (previously it only ever showed the first page).

Alfred spacer.png

Just tried 1.7.1.390 (beta) and there’s now a page navigation panel set of page navigation controls at the bottom-left of the main window for page selection. Lovely.
(No Pages panel, but that shouldn't be much of a problem in Designer.)

Edit: Modified the text to make it a little clearer.

Edited by GarryP

On 6/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, toutou123 said:

Once publisher will be officially released. You'll have access to the photo and designer personas as well.

Yes I know. Love it :)

Just tried 1.7.1.390 (beta) and there’s now a page navigation panel at the bottom-left of the main window for page selection. Lovely.

That's pretty clean and intuitive indeed and much better than another panel! :)

And if you click on the pages-icon next to it we can even toggle between pages and the master page(s) and edit directly in a master page too even! Briljant!

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

and there’s now a page navigation panel at the bottom-left of the main window for page selection.

Can you please upload a screenshot. i'm using the latest Publisher beta, and Designer 1.7, but can't found this panel.

Tnks.

15 minutes ago, Glicky said:

Can you please upload a screenshot. i'm using the latest Publisher beta, and Designer 1.7, but can't found this panel.

Tnks.

You need Designer 1.7.1 beta, not the Designer 1.7.0 retail release.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Just tried 1.7.1.390 (beta) and there’s now a page navigation panel at the bottom-left of the main window for page selection. Lovely.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Glicky said:

Where can i get the 1.7.1 beta?

From a pinned topic near the top of this forum. Currently, this one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

2 hours ago, Glicky said:

Tnks.

It's not a panel, it's a control on the bottomleft in the statusbar. The same thing as in Publisher itself.

You only get that navigation-control when you have pages in your file, so opened a *.apub file.

image.png.011b27a268ab88bd7e312b177fbf45b7.png

On 6/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, Friksel said:

It's not a panel, it's a control on the bottomleft in the statusbar. The same thing as in Publisher itself.

You only get that navigation-control when you have pages in your file, so opened a *.apub file.

image.png.011b27a268ab88bd7e312b177fbf45b7.png

I hope this is not the only thing they do to Support Pages. A dedicated Panel would me nice, with a similar functionality like that of Macromedia Fireworks.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

I hope this is not the only thing they do to Support Pages. A dedicated Panel would me nice, with a similar functionality like that of Macromedia Fireworks.

Best regards!

I never used Fireworks. So I don't have a clue on what you might be missing about pages. I can't find something I would do with pages that I couldn't do better in Publisher to be honoust and I think it's great we can even edit both the pages AND the masterpages of an *.apub file inside Designer. That's more than I would expect and actually pretty nice. Serif obviously doesn't want to create another Publisher (neither do I 'cause I like the fact that those programs serve different usescases). What would you like to see in Designer according to pages that belongs to a vector design program and you could not do or expect to be in a program like Publisher?

1 hour ago, Friksel said:

I never used Fireworks. So I don't have a clue on what you might be missing about pages. I can't find something I would do with pages that I couldn't do better in Publisher to be honoust and I think it's great we can even edit both the pages AND the masterpages of an *.apub file inside Designer. That's more than I would expect and actually pretty nice. Serif obviously doesn't want to create another Publisher (neither do I 'cause I like the fact that those programs serve different usescases). What would you like to see in Designer according to pages that belongs to a vector design program and you could not do or expect to be in a program like Publisher?

The way some Designers want to work with Pages in Designer is described and shown in this Topic.

But basically, what I mean is that instead of watching all of the Pages the way you see in Publisher, is watching a single Page at a Time. The use case is for those who design Web pages.

Best regards!

2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

The way some Designers want to work with Pages in Designer is described and shown in this Topic.

But basically, what I mean is that instead of watching all of the Pages the way you see in Publisher, is watching a single Page at a Time. The use case is for those who design Web pages.

Best regards!

Thanks for this. I've read the top explanation part of the topic you posted and some of the first reactions to it. Now I understand your needs better.

Actually I'm working in web-development and -design too and I understand better what you want and why. I wasn't aware that I'm often looking for just a simular workflow (to be able to flip from one to the other view in the same place to see differences easily and to use a grid system and the same rulers and all that while still working on different pages/views).

So basically the features missing in designer now to do that are to add and delete masterpages and pages and perhaps have some dedicated pages panel with bigger buttons and more advanced navigation to navigate between them. So actually the pages panel of Publisher, but then build into Designer. So we still have all tools to design in Designer, but also have pages on the same position. That would indeed be a huge timesaver, cause using the layering system inside Designer for this is definitely not enough for this usecase. I totally agree.

It would indeed be crazy if we first needed to go to Publisher, just to create some empty pages and masterpages, just to have these pages in Designer to put our layouts to them. And if we would like to add or delete a page, we have to go back to Publisher again and so on and so forth... that would be pretty inefficient and spoils the fun of working in one software program and be productive.

I agree. There should be a way to add and delete pages in Designer too and have a panel for pages in Designer with a way to add and delete pages (although I like the navigator on the bottom too, just have both :)).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.