You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling Slices when underlying artwork is scaled

I have noticed that when I change the size of artwork in the Vector Persona, existing slices (in the Export Persona) do not scale in synch.  In guess that slices are always positioned and sized to capture content in a very specific area, and if the slice does not re-scale in synch with the underlying artwork, you have to adjust it manually.  I’m making seamless repeating patterns, and using slices to export the pattern tile, so precision is rather important....

Is this how slices are supposed to work?

Is there a setting I can use to get slices to scale in synch with the artwork?

Regards

Edited by LionelD
Specificity

• Staff

Hi LionelD,

How are your changing the size of the artwork?  Are you going into document setup and resizing the whole document?  Just that does rescale the slices in the export persona.  The only time i can see when this does happen is if you change the size of an item on the page, the slice in the Export Persona will remain the size it was drawn out at.  

This would make for a good Feature Request if you are resizing something on the page and not the whole document.

@stokerg Thanks for the feedback.

I encountered this while editing a file that has two Artboards.  I used the Transform tool to enlarge one of the artboards with it’s content; the slices are defined on this artboard.

I believe there’s related (mis)behavior related to maintaining the aspect ratio of slices because it appears the Transform tool does not give you access to the Constraints panel when Transforming a slice.

I’ll try to construct a small file that reproduces the problem.

Regards

@stokerg Ok, I’ve attached a small Designer file you can use to reproduce the slice (mis)behaviour.  This document contains one slice in the Export Persona; the slice is sized and positioned to export the red square.

Open the file in the Vector Persona, select the gray rectangle in the Layers Studio, and use the Move tool to change the size and/or shape of the gray box.

Change to the Export Persona and you’ll see that the slice no longer aligns with the red square.  See the attached screenshot.

If I select the Red Square Slice (Export Persona), and then go to the Transform Studio, the Transform Studio has the usual links to Alignment and Constraints, but trying to go to either does not respond.  So I guess you can’t correct the slice misbehavior by setting constraints.

By the way, this is all in AD iPad.  I also have AD on my MacBook, but have not tested this on that version of AD.  I’m still very new to AD (any flavor), still learning to navigate AD for Mac, so it seems that a Feature Request might be a little cheeky.....

Regards

1B0BF311-35FB-4735-BD34-07999117DE0B.png

Slice Scaling Issue.afdesign