You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Publisher Team,

great product of yours! I already bought a license.

Just one feature is missing - the "Fit to box" feature, which resizes the font in each line to automatically fit the text box's width as mentioned in this post: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/70240-resize-text-automatically/&do=findComment&comment=363910

It would be great to see this feature in your product so that an effect like in the attached image would be easy - today I need to manually resize every single line to fit the text in properly.

2019-06-13 14_19_14-Clipboard.png

The function is already there. Just double-click the centered handles of the text frame. If the line contains a space the text might jump into the next line. To avoid this, mark the text as "no break" and then click the handles.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

The function is already there. Just double-click the centered handles of the text frame.

This sets the dimensions of the text frame = "fit box to text". – Whereas tabbit wants to make the text size auto-changed = "fit text to box".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

This sets the dimensions of the text frame = "fit box to text". – Whereas tabbit wants to make the text size auto-changed = "fit text to box".

However, you could use that and then scale the text frame with the extra bottom-right handle. It wouldn't be the same as Fit text to box, but it might be good enough.

1 minute ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Is’nt this 100% of the function @tabbit is looking for?

He make an textbox with different textline just like his screenshot above (with different fontsizes), and, when resizing the textbox with the most right/lowest handle every line will autoadjust it’s fontsize...?

Ideally, Fit text to box would try to preserve the aspect ratio of the characters, by adjusting leading and tracking.

8 hours ago, tabbit said:

which resizes the font in each line to automatically fit the text box's width

@Dave, @Errka,
according to this red words and, additionally, to the text in tabbit's linked thread it seems obvious that the goal is an automatic scaling of font sizes per line related to its (possibly changing) number of characters per line. (I'd say screenshot above shows the wanted result, – not the starting situation.)

5 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Do you mean that this function in Indesign is a realtime autojustifying box? The fonts changes when you typing?

I don't know whether the wanted feature exists in InDesign. I just understand that both people, tabbis and djjss, ask for auto-set font size depending on text amount per line – regardless if realtime or by command for instance. Probably similar like the auto-set character and word spacing in a frame set to Justified All.

Hey there - lively discussion here, that's pretty nice. The bottom right handle is also a nice thing when resizing the text box, really nice.

But actually, I wanted to have a feature which automatically resizes the text to fit best into the text box. Typing in each line, marking all and have the computer fit each line as best as possible into the text box - of course, I can justify all and then manually resize each single line to fit best to the box without wrapping around, but I would like to automatically have this done as this would save me from doing this manual work.

But this is just a suggestion for a new feature, nothing with priority, I can still do that manually if required.

28 minutes ago, tabbit said:

The bottom right handle is also a nice thing when resizing the text box, really nice.

... whereas for your approach the Artistic Text Tool might even be better for a workaround:

1. Create line by line, for every text line simply start a new object.
2. Set the font size per line simply by dragging a frame handle.
3. The line spacings can be done for all lines in 1 go via Alignment > Space Vertically.