You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Export PSD with editable text from Affinity Designer 1.7 !!!

Dear creators team Affinity designer 1.7. 
You wrote on your site that in version 1.7 
the work with the export of PSD files was fixed.

I tried different exporting settings and in all cases the TEXT WAS RASTERISED. 

Please, give me the answer, how to export editable text to PSD.
I hope and pray that it works)

If you show it on video on your channel - it will be super.
Edited by Andy82

• Staff

Due to how our PSD export works, text layers are always rasterised. This is something our developers would like to improve but it isn't a trivial task to undertake. Improvements have been made in 1.7 to the PSD importing and exporting process but text rasterisation is the same.

16 minutes ago, Lee D said:

Due to how our PSD export works, text layers are always rasterised. This is something our developers would like to improve but it isn't a trivial task to undertake. Improvements have been made in 1.7 to the PSD importing and exporting process but text rasterisation is the same.

Ok, then how can I create a web design and give it to the developer so that he can copy the texts from the file. Since the developer does not have an Affinity designer in the property and does not know how to use it. He needs a PSD file with active text.

Do you seriously ever have the intention to introduce editable text export for PSD? This has been an issue since the first version.

I hope the Affinity team understands that for lack of this one feature, many people will not switch to your entire suite of products. Developers require files provided by designers to be in PSD, with editable text. Without an editable text feature designers are forced to keep using Photoshop, therefore we have to subscribe to Adobe 'Creative' (=rip-off) Cloud, so we may as well stick with Illustrator and InDesign as they are provided in the package.

We own Affinity Designer and Photo, bought on the promise of PSD export - we cannot use them. We won't buy Publisher no matter how attractive it is because we are stuck with the need for Adobe.

There are many users who would be more than happy to drop Adobe, but will ability to export to PSD with editable text is an absolute must

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2019 at 8:04 PM, stratman said:

Do you seriously ever have the intention to introduce editable text export for PSD? This has been an issue since the first version.

I hope the Affinity team understands that for lack of this one feature, many people will not switch to your entire suite of products. Developers require files provided by designers to be in PSD, with editable text. Without an editable text feature designers are forced to keep using Photoshop, therefore we have to subscribe to Adobe 'Creative' (=rip-off) Cloud, so we may as well stick with Illustrator and InDesign as they are provided in the package.

We own Affinity Designer and Photo, bought on the promise of PSD export - we cannot use them. We won't buy Publisher no matter how attractive it is because we are stuck with the need for Adobe.

There are many users who would be more than happy to drop Adobe, but will ability to export to PSD with editable text is an absolute must

I agree.. this is major issue. I know you say its not trivial to fix. But why free software programs like Photopea support text psd export but a paid professional software like Affinity Designer does not??? 

• 8 months later...

I've had the same problem. A solution is to export the file in Affinity Photo  as a .PDF and use photopea.com to save that file as a .PSD file. The resulting file will have editable text layers in Photoshop. It would make life a lot easier if it were enabled in Affinity photo. I can't leave Adobe until that feature exists in the Affinity apps unfortunately. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 2:46 PM, Afromalone said:

I've had the same problem. A solution is to export the file in Affinity Photo  as a .PDF and use photopea.com to save that file as a .PSD file. The resulting file will have editable text layers in Photoshop. It would make life a lot easier if it were enabled in Affinity photo. I can't leave Adobe until that feature exists in the Affinity apps unfortunately. 

Wow ! thank you so much you are a real life saver it is a perfect solution !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, hope im not too late in the conversation. I have the same problem and search the internet and found this tread. Few day after, I try to experiment and found something. I export from affinity designer as a .pdf , then find the pdf file in the folder and rename it as .psd .Well it work for me. As long its not rasterize before export everything can be edit again. please try  it if it will also work for you guys. Do reply. Im eagerly want to know the result. Thank you

• 6 months later...

Two years later, nobody did anything about it. 😥Hopes associated with affinity, crash on such small but necessary things. It's not just about being able to open the file in psd. How do I import text into an animation program, since these don't import affinity, but psd. 

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, chickpea51 said:

YES! I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION! All you have to do is download it as a digital high-quality pdf. Then import that into photopea, go to file, and save as psd. Then when you open it, it should work!!! I Found the answer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vervdn7rlnc&t=91s

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Others have reported that PhotoPea can directly Open Affinity documents (.afphoto, etc.) and save them as PSD. If that works it's an even simpler process.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1