You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Abr brushes issue

This is the only reason I'm still not using affinity photo for professional work. I've been forcing my self to work with it so I can get used to it, but this is something I can't get around. 

Guys you have a great peace of software here but brushes are really important for a lot of artists. I hope you are able to find a fix for it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, GunsOFSteel said:

Well that was fun! Installed Affinity to see yet another disappointing update.

As this was a minor release update (1.8.3 -> 1.8.4) it was really for bug fixes. Enhancements usually come in major releases, e.g. 1.9, 1.10, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As this was a minor release update (1.8.3 -> 1.8.4) it was really for bug fixes. Enhancements usually come in major releases, e.g. 1.9, 1.10, etc.

Ok good to hear.

Im not sure what bug fixes happened, while 10 strokes into testing the brushes AP crashed.

I wont be holding my breath for the ABR importer fix in the next major update.

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Koniotaur said:

I ain't holding my breath for it anymore either, I've moved to Paint Storm, with a little bit of fiddling you can recreate the brushes from PS, and is cheap.

Its a shame this hasnt been improved in AP, it could be the best and closest thing to Photoshop for a lot of professionals.

I checked out Paint Storm, it doesnt have adjustment layers which I use a lot  for digital mattepainting. I checked on their forum and users have been asking for those since 2016. So it seems theyre another "company" that want to compete with Adobe and fail by ignoring their users requests.

Im finding every digital art app out there falls short in one way or another which keeps them from knocking Adobe off their perch.

Whats going on, do they all have one 12 year old girl developer sitting in her room struggling to add requests and fix bugs?

Come on, if theyre going to create an app then finish the job!! 90% of the way just isnt good enough to switch over for most professionals.

As much as I like the Affinity apps, and the Plus range that came before, the one thing that "drives me up the wall" about Serif is the time it takes them to sort out bugs. They will introduce new features and new products, but really annoying bugs, that people complain about endlessly, just do not get fixed. I appreciate that it is difficult to get a balance, and that all software is bound to have some bugs as it is developed, but it is something that makes a lot of loyal, long time users really frustrated. 🙁

Personally I would much rather they iron out the problems with existing features and apps, before worrying about adding new features and apps. I use a lot of abr brushes and I would really like to be able to rely on them working properly.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

+1. Affinity brushes is so basic. It's OK for line work and sketches. But when it comes to painting, it's pain. Developers can compare feel of brushes with ArtstudioPro, Procreate, InfinitePainter, Clip Studio etc. Photoshop brushes isn't as good as in software above, but still better then Affinity. Need wetness and mixing settings, better render and movement tracing, better tilt settings and control. 

• 1 month later...