You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Abr brushes issue

Short things short, I imported abr brushes from photoshop to affinity photo, some of them work all right, some of them have some weird lines and look really unlike they originally do, and some of them are a real mess. For now I'm posting only 1 example with weird lines and brush looking quite different, later on I'll update the post with ones where it's really messed up.

Here's a comparison between AP (Affinity Photo) and PS(Photoshop).

ozq0opp.png

Abr brush pack is obtainable from here:
Deviant art brushes

In both scenarios used brush is as 5. As shown in image above.

BUMP

Like I said, I've chosen some random brushes from that pack and made a comparison. Most of Affinity Photo brushes look garbage, they seem to always have same opacity (looks like variety ain't a thing). With chains for example the distance between each chain is completely messed up and I'd say none of these are usable for real.

HitKdBa.png
nl3TblJ.png

Also note, AP and PS (red text) were made using the same brush with some chinese name that I can not repeat or type.

Edited by Koniotaur

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged but I understand. Unfortunately, I have little influence on how the developers prioritise bugs. At the moment we have a general issue with importing .abr brushes is being worked on. I'm not sure if this particular issue will be resolved along with it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

I realise that this is a crucial feature for those of you who are leaving Adobe for our products and need to import your brushes for work. I have bumped the bug report each time this thread has been bumped, as well as other threads where this is raised.

I can only apologise that this still hasn't been resolved. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I totally agree that this needs urgent attention. Ive been on and off this forum for 3 years asking for this. I only open AP these days hoping to find an update waiting to be downloaded with this fix.

Unfortunately, I can not paint in AP with its brushes after using PS.

Ive searched the net and can not find a program that is on Windows that can import .ABR files correctly. 

If this was fixed in AP it would strongly compete with PS in digital painting a long with it photo imagining tools.

Im so looking forward to the day when I can drop Photoshop and paint in Affinity with my brush library. Im sure a lot of my industry friends will feel the same. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 12:05 AM, Chris B said:

I realise that this is a crucial feature for those of you who are leaving Adobe for our products and need to import your brushes for work. I have bumped the bug report each time this thread has been bumped, as well as other threads where this is raised.

I can only apologise that this still hasn't been resolved. 

Hi Chris,

I wanted to BUMP this post in the hope that this issue will be looked at for the next update.

Also, I wanted to draw your attention to a Facebook post I saw today. GrutBrushes have been developing digital brush sets for artists for many years, mostly for Photoshop. Over the last few years, their brushes have become popular in other desktop and portable device apps that can correctly import .ABR files. Such as Artstudio, Procreate, and other Adobe sketch apps.

I've approached them to see if they could create brushes for Affinity, unfortunately, they don't feel the brush engine has enough control to create such complex and well texture brushes.

So, I thought by using the screen captured posts you may be able to persuade someone in the corner office that this is a fix that needs immediate attention.

Check out the number of likes, shares and comments. Surely there's a huge market of digital artists to attract to Affinity once the importer is fixed?

IMG_9311.PNG

IMG_9310.PNG

Edited by GunsOFSteel

• Staff
6 hours ago, GunsOFSteel said:

I've approached them to see if they could create brushes for Affinity, unfortunately, they don't feel the brush engine has enough control to create such complex and well texture brushes.

Thanks for the feedback and comments GunsOFSteel. That is certainly a bit of a gut-punch to read. I will pass this on.