You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are Templates available?

On 6/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, Pšenda said:

I downloaded them today via My Account.
I tried uninstall and download - and it's still Gradient(t).

I apparently had an older version installed, which said "CONTENT" on the A4 version rather than "GRADIENT". I uninstalled those templates via My Account, and reinstalled, and I see the A4 version with "GRADIENTT" now. Good discovery.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 6/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Pšenda said:

... There is just a small bug - maybe training for users to use Preflight 🙂

image.png.9ffeaf785500093e5fa0633303e7c0d4.png

image.png.2f9958bda93704ad2ac38e2dfedbb283.png image.png.2ca31bf8e119cbcff005c38d8db8e1fe.png

Thanks Psenda, great catch - I've logged this with the relevant team :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:40 PM, fde101 said:

The fact that they consider the availability of templates to be a key factor in determining whether or not a program could be considered a desktop publishing application worthy of even being listed on their site.

Well i absolutely DO consider it essential for me to get some work done in my real career, because I just want a tool I can use, not a new hobby

20 hours ago, AlanPC said:

Well i absolutely DO consider it essential for me to get some work done in my real career, because I just want a tool I can use, not a new hobby

In that case you are looking for a product with a specific feature.  This does not mean that products which do not have that feature do not qualify as professional or even semi-professional Desktop Publishing applications, and the context of my comment was in terms of a site that was generically reviewing applications of that nature, but disqualifying applications in such a way that made it sound like applications missing that feature were not professional DTP apps.  This is not the case, as *most* professional DTP apps historically have NOT supported templates, at least not those that I've seen.

If templates are required for you to get your work done, then you have a requirement beyond the application being a professional DTP app.  I am not disqualifying that individual users may have non-standard or atypical requirements which some programs will support and others will not, but the way that particular site treats a feature like this as if it were essential to the nature of the application calls the legitimacy of the site into question.

If the site had listed the review as being a review of desktop publishing applications that offer support for templates, that would be a different matter - they would be narrowing the field to a subset of desktop publishing applications which might be more suitable for some specific purpose or subset of users - but that is not what they were claiming.

20 hours ago, AlanPC said:

Templates you make yourself are certainly useful, for example for any publication that needs the content to be updated regularly, but I'm not sure that most professionals consider it essential to have half the work done for them by someone else!

The templates available from Affinity, along with the samples, are certainly interesting as inspiration, but why would I want to use complete layouts that someone else designed, and is probably also being used by lots of other people?

I would have thought it more likely for "hobbyists" to use readymade templates, while most professionals would prefer to use their own designs, not someone else's!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

... *most* professional DTP apps historically have NOT supported templates, at least not those that I've seen. ...

Up until InDesign CS4, ID shipped with 76 main templates, but there were others available. Since CC, ID templates have grown via Adobe Stock, there are about 13k of them. Envato has about 12k of them. There are a lot more. 

Dunno if that is "professional" enough for you.

But still, the PP templates were well integrated. They worked nicely and were the easiest to quickly modify. We'll likely never see such integration in APub because of certain differences.

Oh. Both Serif's layout applications were designated (by Serif) as professional applications. One had them, one doesn't. Such is life.

18 hours ago, MikeW said:

Envato has about 12k of them.

I assume that these are not original templates from the application developer, but templates of the "designed by someone and downloaded somewhere from the Internet" category. I assume that such templates for APublisher can be found on the Internet and here on the forum as well. Of course, due to the age/youth of the application and the number of users, there will not be as many of them as for other applications that have been in use for a longer period of time.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, MikeW said:

Since CC, ID templates have grown via Adobe Stock, there are about 13k of them. Envato has about 12k of them. There are a lot more. 

I can't say that I fully understand how Adobe plans work. Just today they multiplied my Adobe account by two, and I can't understand why. I can however feel that by accepting their free trial means that I'm also ending up into some type of subscription…

So, I’m not sure by their wording that the Adobe Stock content is free. I only have a subscription plan for InDesign, and not for the full Creative Cloud. So, all I can say is that only a very small part of that content is free for me. "Small part" means that I can have access to some tens of excellent templates for free. All the remaining (huge) part seems to be available at variable prices in the shop.

I suspect Adobe Stock, like Envato, is a separate shop not part of the subscription to the creative apps. If so, I admire the ability of Adobe to monetize a precious service. This material is often made and sold by Adobe users. They will not for sure release their content to Affinity users (unless Affinity apps can read that content).

On the contrary, I can't see why Envato can't release the same content to the Affinity users. I don't know if they are doing it already (I convert indd and indt files to idml, if needed, so I don't know). But Publisher is too new and still too basic, so I would expect they to wait and see.

Serif is already selling extension packs. Maybe they should strengthen that service. Their prices are so good that this would be another plus to their apps.

EDIT: I've checked, and Envato already sells thousand file compatible with Affinity apps.

Paolo

On 7/13/2022 at 5:01 PM, PaoloT said:

I can't say that I fully understand how Adobe plans work. Just today they multiplied my Adobe account by two, and I can't understand why. I can however feel that by accepting their free trial means that I'm also ending up into some type of subscription…

So, I’m not sure by their wording that the Adobe Stock content is free. I only have a subscription plan for InDesign, and not for the full Creative Cloud. So, all I can say is that only a very small part of that content is free for me. "Small part" means that I can have access to some tens of excellent templates for free. All the remaining (huge) part seems to be available at variable prices in the shop.

I suspect Adobe Stock, like Envato, is a separate shop not part of the subscription to the creative apps. If so, I admire the ability of Adobe to monetize a precious service. This material is often made and sold by Adobe users. They will not for sure release their content to Affinity users (unless Affinity apps can read that content).

On the contrary, I can't see why Envato can't release the same content to the Affinity users. I don't know if they are doing it already (I convert indd and indt files to idml, if needed, so I don't know). But Publisher is too new and still too basic, so I would expect they to wait and see.

Serif is already selling extension packs. Maybe they should strengthen that service. Their prices are so good that this would be another plus to their apps.

EDIT: I've checked, and Envato already sells thousand file compatible with Affinity apps.

Paolo

Adobe stock brings your plan up a fair bit. We have Adobe stock with our CC licenses. It is unlimited and having a massive library for images and vectors at my finger tips is super helpful and makes life a lot easier. I would have to sit down though and really work out if it is worth the higher price tag, on quick thought I would if you were able to factor in the time it saves hunting for artwork and designing when you have access to just about anything and everything you could need. 

On 7/15/2022 at 4:26 PM, wonderings said:

having a massive library for images and vectors at my finger tips is super helpful

Limited to photos: how are the free photo archives offered and integrated in the Affinity apps? For example, I see a lot of excellent content in Pexels.

Paolo