Please provide templates, such as for a side fold greeting card, trifold flyer or brochure, recital program, and especially a newsletter. One blank template for each kind of publication is all I need, along with printer support to handle a side fold greeting card of four pages printed 4 up on a single sheet as I described elsewhere in the following post.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89633-how-do-i-make-a-greeting-card-in-afpub/

From its earliest release, MS Publisher included many, many templates for all kinds of publications. Without templates for standard publications Affinity Publisher is no more than a toolbox for professionals and not a desktop publishing package for the rest of us who would normally be looking for publishing software in your price range and who need some examples to get started.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404, Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1809, 
Dell XPS 8930, 16 GB Ram,  Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

6 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

Affinity Publisher is no more than a toolbox for professionals

Well, that is what it is intended to be...

templates for standard publications

Other professional applications tend not to have these either - QuarkXPress does not, for example.

a side fold greeting card of four pages printed 4 up on a single sheet

Wow, this reminds me of Print Shop on the Apple II series... with an ImageWriter II you could print in all of 7 colors using a 4-color ribbon.

Now we use printers that can print in full color to both sides of the paper.  One fold instead of two.  Add crop marks to show where to cut to the desired size, print on card stock, and you can make a much more professional-looking card without the extra fold.  Publisher can do all of this if your printer can (except cut and fold it for you).

If your printer can't print both sides, you could flip the paper over and send it back through to print the other side.  In this case, add bleed to the design...

trifold flyer

Create a document with a master page, in landscape format, do not use Facing Pages mode (leave that unchecked), create the document with 2 pages.

Switch to the master page and set guides at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way from whichever side of the page.

Switch back to the normal pages and you now have a blank trifold flyer.  On one page, the rightmost section is the front cover, the middle section the back, and the leftmost section is the page that is facing you on the right side when you open the first cover and still have the third part folded in.

On the other page, the leftmost section is the flip side of the front page (inside), the middle section is the (initially hidden) flip side of the back cover, and the rightmost section is the (initially hidden) flip side of the folded-in page.

Thanks @fde101 for outlining how to make a trifold flyer.

See my post at 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89633-how-do-i-make-a-greeting-card-in-afpub/&do=findComment&comment=476342

for my thoughts about templates. AFPub beta testers requested templates more than a year ago. I assume beta testers are professionals who have need of the advanced capabilities of AFPub that I'll never need. At least some of them also want templates.

Also in that thread, @stokerg included an afpub file for producing a greeting card in the manner of MSPub. It requires a lot more manual effort than MSPub, but it is not difficult once you see the concept. MSPub does it as four pages which at print time are printed on one side of a single piece of paper in the appropriate locations and orientations. In AFPub it is made as four separate frames on one side of a single sheet of paper with two of the frames printed upside down.

You compared AFPub to QuarkExpress in the sense that neither provides templates. I remember looking at QuarkExpress in 1987 when it first came out. It did not seem appropriate for the needs of my group. We ended up using MS Publisher for newsletters, tutorial documents, and other printed matter. QuarkExpress still limits its market to publishing professionals, as reflected in its price of $975 for one year of upgrades and support.

AFPub at $50 can surely tap into the market of millions of people who are not publishing professionals but who can benefit from a publishing application. That's what happened with AFPhoto. It was not just for professionals wanting to escape Adobe but also for hobbyist and enthusiast photographers wanting something more powerful than the several amateur level photo editors, all of which cost considerably more than AFPhoto.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404, Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1809, 

I got a chuckle while searching for DTP software reviews and found this statement at

https://www.g2.com/categories/desktop-publishing

To qualify for inclusion in the Desktop Publishing category, a product must:

• Provide templates for constructing layouts of publishable materials (e.g. newspapers, flyers)

That was the very first requirement. DTP software lacking templates will not be reviewed. The review site uses an interesting interactive grid to display the relative merits of different DTP applications.

2 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

DTP software reviews and found this statement at

I saw that too...  quickly discredits that review site and gives me reason to move on.

Why not make an app store? People can submit work and others can take it, and improve upon it. Tap into the resources of the community.