You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shadows / Highlights Photo 1.7.0 MAS

Puck

Hi there,

First of all I wanna say I'm very happy with the new 1.7 version of Photo! But it looks like the 'Shadows/Highlights' filter doesn't work properly in the Tone Mapping Persona. 'Shadows' doesn't show any effect while the 'Highlights' are working. No matter whether metal is on or off. 

Best regards, Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

Hi Puck,
Just to clear this out, you are talking about the Shadows /Highlights controls in the Tone Map panel on the right correct? They seem to be working fine for me. Have you tried with another/different image? Maybe the results were too subtle with the one you were using?

Press and hold ctrl while launching the application until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Keep the first three checkboxes ticked only then press Clear. Then try the Shadows/highlights controls again in Tone Mapping Persona. Are you still experiencing the same result?

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Just to clear this out, you are talking about the Shadows /Highlights controls in the Tone Map panel on the right correct? They seem to be working fine for me. Have you tried with another/different image? Maybe the results were too subtle with the one you were using?

Hi MEB, yes I'm talking about the Shadows / Highlights controls in the Tone Map panel on the right. Pressing and holding control-key (not 'alt' on a Mac) during restart dosen't solve the problem, neither with other images.
The 'normal' Shadows / Highlights-filter (no matter whether life-filter or non-life-filter) in Photo Persona works fine!

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, Puck said:
On 6/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, MEB said:

Hi MEB, yes I'm talking about the Shadows / Highlights controls in the Tone Map panel on the right. Pressing and holding control-key (not 'alt' on a Mac) during restart dosen't solve the problem, neither with other images.
The 'normal' Shadows / Highlights-filter (no matter whether life-filter or non-life-filter) in Photo Persona works fine!

It still does not work in the 1.7.1 MAS version of Photo. Just a reminder :)

I also found the shadows slider in tone mappings does absolutely nothing on a variety of photos.  The highlights adjustment there is extremely sensitive.   in the photo person the highlights. shadows adjustment should NEVER be used.  The live filter version gives strange results  win RGB  when you apply stronger versions of the filter. by changing the contrast  All this is  suggesting that the algorithm may need to be reworked.  thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, MEB said:

Hi Puck,

As I mentioned earlier, Shadows /Highlights controls in the Tone Map panel doesn't work in Photo 1.7.1 MAS, neither in 1.7.2.146 Beta. For clarification: Highlights works, Shadows doesn't. Just a reminder. 

Regards, Puck

• Staff

Hi Puck, hanshab,
I've been trying this with a few different images (from developed RAW's to JPG's) and still can't reproduce the issue here. Forgetting the quality of the output for a moment it definitely does change the shadows for me. Do you mind attaching a sample problematic file where it does nothing? Maybe I'm missing something. Also what's your Mac specs?

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Forgetting the quality of the output for a moment it definitely does change the shadows for me

Hi Meb, if it’s any help the shadow sliders do work but it depends on how much the tone compression slider has been adjusted, tbe further to the right the less effect can be seen in the shadow adjustments, it constrains them to the darkest tones but it can be difficult to see the effect.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, MEB said:

Hi Puck, hanshab,
I've been trying this with a few different images (from developed RAW's to JPG's) and still can't reproduce the issue here. Forgetting the quality of the output for a moment it definitely does change the shadows for me. Do you mind attaching a sample problematic file where it does nothing? Maybe I'm missing something. Also what's your Mac specs?

I am not crazy, promise! Yesterday I tried it again with .NEF-files and.jpgs, and it didn't work. Now it does! But the effects are very(!!) minimal!

Puck