You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Work with Dropbox to enable preview and commenting of native Affinity files

Today I discovered that Dropbox Professional will generate previews of Photoshop (psd), MS Office (doc, ppt, xls), iWork (or whatever the suite is called now), DWG, and lots of other file types, within a web browser. This enables creative professionals to send files to clients (via Dropbox) and the clients can view and comment on those files right in their web browser. It would be awesome if Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher files were supported this way as well.

• 10 months later...
13 minutes ago, Maciek Blaźniak said:

Going back to the subject. I'm missing the Affinity files in Dropbox. I keep all my stuff there. Is it more of a job for the Affinity team or the Dropbox?

I would guess this is functionality on the side of Dropbox. Affinity files include previews of their content. (There is a discussion that these previews are a little too small for some users but that's a different thing 🙂 )

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

10 hours ago, dominik said:

I would guess this is functionality on the side of Dropbox. Affinity files include previews of their content. (There is a discussion that these previews are a little too small for some users but that's a different thing 🙂 )

d.

i thiknk both companies need to contract and dropbox probably wants to have money for that functionality ... google cloud also renders excel , word , openoffice,  pdf etc. previews in the free version and i think its more likely google adapts affinty first 

Just now, Ulf3000 said:

i thiknk both companies need to contract and dropbox probably wants to have money for that functionality

Hi @Ulf3000,

thanks, you seem to know some more details about how this works. I admit I have no idea on how companies go about this kind of interopability. I think Dropbox has to implement the feature by itself and most likely Serif needs to give them some information about their file format. And maybe there is some money and copyrights and contracts involved. Thanks for pointing this out.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 year later...

It would be so useful if Dropbox had preview support for Affinity files and the number of Dropbox users working with Affinity software must have grown considerably. So please let's try to encourage the developers to make it happen.

There is a thread at the dropboxforum.com under "Dropbox Ideas", "Preview support for Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher" where it can be voted for.

I did :)